Options for Internet

General topics regarding Stoupa and its surroundings

JowiKrause

Options for Internet

Post by JowiKrause » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:41 am

We live up in Neochori, and I have been fighting with Ote for months now. My internet was frequently interrupted, speed was intolerably low, especially uploads. Ote has suggested I switch to a hybrid modem/contract, which gives me access via DSL and wireless (LTE). Speeds are Ok now, but data volume is limited and expensive. Plus this solution will end this month. Before I prolong, the following question: I was told that some people around here have internet by satellite, a guy called Panagiotis is supposed to sell and install that. Does anyone know more about it? Who is the provider, what is the performance? I work a lot with cloud storages, so upload speed is important for me. Is it still true that with internet by satellite uploads go via landline?
My landline is extremely poor/broken ...
I know that they are talking about the fibre-optic cable, but even if that should ever be operational, it will not improve my situation, as it is the 'last mile' (really more like 2 miles in my case) of old,overhead copper wire that slows me down.
Any suggestions welcome!

timmillea

Re: Options for Internet

Post by timmillea » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:28 pm

I gave up my landline well over a decade ago. The fixed charges simply do not justify my usage. All my internet is via 3G from WIND, PAYG. I pre-pay for one of WIND's internet packages when I need it and don't pay anything when I am away. The bottom line is 5GB data for €15 but there are all sorts of bonuses to collect to enhance this.

I have a little 'MiFi' device which takes a SIM card and provides via 3G a local wi-fi network for all devices. It has an internal battery so it can cope with power cuts. To me it is the perfect solution - unless you want extreme speed.

Happy to answer any questions.

Tim.
Tim.
Machine learning, artificial evolution, optimisation.

timmillea

Post by timmillea » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:19 am

Just an update - Wind has introduced a new cheaper tariff on mobile data. Their ‘GigaFull’ add-on bundle to their pay-as-you-go SIM card is €10 for 15 GB and valid for 30 days at a time. This must be considered very reasonable compared to line rental or mobile contracts.

There are also the obvious advantages that
1) that there are no costs whatsoever if you are not in Greece or otherwise are not using it and
2) it can be used anywhere in Greece, including on the move and at sea, providing you are within a mobile network reception area (there are parts of the road between Stoupa and Kalamata which are not!)
Tim.
Machine learning, artificial evolution, optimisation.

Marco

Post by Marco » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:01 pm

Another option is to tether to your mobile, using your mobile phone as a modem (dependant on mobile signal), then pay for add on data allowance, 30gb with BT costs me £20. Tethering to a UK phone will also allow you access to watch and download via BBC I player, Channel 4 and watch Sky via the sky app.

Social Media