Kalogria beach

General topics regarding Stoupa and its surroundings
jimbo

Re: Kalogria beach

Post by jimbo » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Yes, that's great if you can take your holidays here at those times of year. But that is the privilege, luxury (& less expensive option) of those without school-age children/grandchildren. Little comfort for the many with such off-spring.

Even so, in the summer months an evening visit to Kalogria may be less populated by other holiday-makers, but the sun-beds & umbrellas don't take a siesta or retire for the night. They're still there blotting out the beauty of the beach.

In that respect, your post reads as if you've missed the point of the original post on this topic. Enjoy your croissants!!

accystanred

Post by accystanred » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:21 pm

:roll: That's just what I thought when I read the post jimbo. Obviously someone who hasn't read and understood the point of the original post. Try to be careful not to burst the bubble this blinkered, self absorbed individual inhabits!

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:10 pm

Thanks for that accystanred. After I'd posted I wondered if I'd been a bitimpetuous & harsh. But it's an example of "I'm all right Jack" & Thatcherite "Me first". If Ambus2008 had children or grandchildren to stay here, what would s/he have them do between 7am & 7pm?? Apart form eat croissants of course & look at photographs of Kalogria as it used to be before its despoilation. Of course, some would hark back to Stoupa before it expanded and when there was just a handful of buildings along the beach with its Tamarisk trees & no beach road &I understand their nostalgia & perhaps their fear that the development of the village was the thin end of the wedge. Nothing stands still & remains unchanged, but it is the responsibility of local Greeks, the Dimos, businesses & tourists & foreign tour operators to resist unbridled development, profiteering & environmental degradation.

PS I'mguessing which football club you support. Me, I'm YNWA.

ambus2008

Post by ambus2008 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:16 am

I thought this was a nice place not for snarky comments. I was just trying to be positive in a world which is so unfathomably horrid at the moment. We do actually have 2 children, they are now big teens but we have been bringing them since they were tiny. There are good cheap flights in October half term and at Easter (not so cheap but still good value) and Stefan has lots of lovely accommodation for those times of year. There is also lots to do even with children that isn't the beach and lots of other beautiful beaches. Try not to be so harsh when you don't know people.

accystanred

Post by accystanred » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:38 pm

Oooops!!! Between us I think we might have hit a nerve jimbo. Where do these cheap flights ambus2008 tells us about depart from? let me guess, the southern side of the divide, no such flights are available to us living in the north and the logistical difficulties and costs of a return journey to Gatwick/Heathrow would make this idea a non-starter. Once again another example of not thinking before pressing the keys (I'm all right Jack)

I'm halfway to being YNWA, the manager, his assistant and 2/3 of our team are Scousers!

The Real Stoupaman
Dedicated member

Post by The Real Stoupaman » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:47 pm

OK accy, going off topic now...........so what's this lad McCartan like then?? Any good??

ambus2008

Post by ambus2008 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:19 pm

actually no we live in the north part of the midlands but with a bit of juggling have always managed to do whatever flight is best value even with 2 small children so again don't judge till you know...You didn't really hit a nerve I just thought everyone should try to be a bit nicer to each other given the state of the world right now.

accystanred

Post by accystanred » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:15 pm

The Real Stoupaman wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:47 pm
OK accy, going off topic now...........so what's this lad McCartan like then?? Any good??
He's a good un' with lots of potential to succeed at a higher level. He scored 11 goals for us last season. They kept him on the sidelines for quite some time then he got his chance and the rest is history. No idea what the undisclosed fee was have you?
Are you a Bradford fan? I've got a soft spot for Bradford, we love going to Valley Parade, great hospitality. We were the only away side to win at Bradford last season, FAC round 1.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:59 pm

Gosh, what I thought was a relatively simple matter - the despoilation of beautiful Kalogria beach, has developed into a complex of differing origins, life experiences, aspirations & logistical & financial circumstances.

So, confession time. Although I was born & raised in the deep south of England, far from London & well, everywhere. I lived & worked for 35+ years in a certain football-mad city in the frozen wastes of England, in a relatively modestly paid, highly stressful public-sector occupation. An annual 2-weeks out-of-term-time-holiday in Greece was an affordable boon, cheaper than UK holidays; 2 1-week holidays were unaffordable. Comparing respective costs of travel from Manchester & Gatwick was a no-brainer.

All this can at best be mildly interesting to the reader & in a sense is a distraction from the problem that "dclet" raised on this camboard, ie the despoilation of Kalogria. The only way of addressing that is to draw back from what has taken place. The beach's businesses may get short-term benefit from the current situation, but in the longer term will see diminishing returns. All of us need to act: holidaymakers by refusing to pay through the nose for a worse experience, local businesses by exercising some self-restraint, & the Dimos, police & Coastgaurds by enforcing compliance.

Sorry to have upset some delicate flowers that inhabit the camboard - no upset intended, but let's focus on the problem.

The Real Stoupaman
Dedicated member

Post by The Real Stoupaman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:05 pm

accystanred wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:15 pm
The Real Stoupaman wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:47 pm
He's a good un' with lots of potential to succeed at a higher level. He scored 11 goals for us last season. They kept him on the sidelines for quite some time then he got his chance and the rest is history. No idea what the undisclosed fee was have you?
Are you a Bradford fan? I've got a soft spot for Bradford, we love going to Valley Parade, great hospitality. We were the only away side to win at Bradford last season, FAC round 1.
Rumour has it that it was £200k, hope he does the biz for us!
I've been a City fan since my granddad first took me in the mid 50's and was hooked! Season ticket holders for many years until moving out here 15 years ago.
Still get to see the odd few games when we go back to visit.

Social Media