Water 2012

Here we want to offer the possibility to discuss in a democratic way opinions and suggestions regarding the (touristic) development in the area. Please do not hesitate to post your ideas or thoughts here!
Spyke

Water 2012

Post by Spyke » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:16 am

My wife and I live in the Riglia area and we are full-time residents. As yet, our house has no tank for the storage of water. After enduring a whole week with absolutely no water supply and relying on neighbours and the spring water taps to get us through, we have had to endure another week and a half with only an intermittent supply. As we have had some extremely hot weather in that time, life, as you can imagine, has been a bit uncomfortable. Obviously we are not alone with this problem as I am aware that whole villages go without a proper water supply regularly at this time of the year.

When we contacted the Dimos during the first week we were told that there were various repairs that had to be carried out and that they only had one plumber available. During this last week the argument has become that there is a drought! Now there may well be a general drought across the whole of Southern Europe, but there is certainly no actual shortage of water in the Western Mani. If there was a drought here the spring water taps would be drying up and the untapped flow of fresh water into the sea would slow down or stop. Furthermore, there seems to be no shortage of water in Kardamyli, Stoupa or Agios Nikolaos. The people in these places are certainly not aware of a drought as they use the water in copious amounts to wash down their balconies, paths and the roads.

The problem here is not a shortage of water, but rather an under-developed network. I have great sympathies for the Dimos, especially in the current financial crisis, as they must have struggled to keep up with the vast increase in housing over the last decade and cope with an aged original supply system. However, the continuing policy, each summer, of ensuring that the tourist areas are never without, at the expense of everyone else, is outmoded and unnecessary. Despite the arguments and pressure that may come from the business community that they cannot be without water in the summer, in my view the majority of visitors to the area are reasonable people and would respond favourably to enlisting their help in a save water campaign.

Therefore I have a suggestion for the Dimos: Invest a little money in providing notices for every apartment and every cafe and taverna in all the tourist areas. These notices should politely inform the holiday-makers of the difficulties of supplying everyone with water and ask them to take care not to waste it. I am sure that the vast majority would respond favourably to this campaign. They would not see it as a failing by the Dimos, but rather as a pro-active initiative in preserving a precious resource. I believe the resultant reduction in usage of water by tourists will go a long way towards ensuring the villages and residential areas are not without during the summer months. Of course, it's not the only action required; the Dimos still needs to continue it's good work in improving the supply network and seeking extra sources of water.

dotandjohn
Addicted member ;-)

Re: Water 2012

Post by dotandjohn » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:04 am

As a visitor to Greece I am aware of the shortage of water to different areas during the summer.
We have been to Islands where water is shipped in eg Agistri .
We are always aware of not wasting water and as we are on a water meter at home, apply the same measures whilst in Greece.
Maybe a notice might do some good.

glenick
Addicted member ;-)

Post by glenick » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:30 pm

We had similar problems last year and previous years, so this year we had a tank and pump fitted and the difference is amazing, not only good supply of water but excellent pressure all round the house, the guy that did it was excellent and lives locally, if you want his number please PM me,
glenick

Stella
Dedicated member

Post by Stella » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:08 am

Unfortunately a tank and a pump will only be of use when there is actually a water supply from the municipality. When this is cut off there is no way of getting the water to the tank in the first place. It seems hard that people in outlying villages face regular cut offs each summer, often for weeks at a time.

Spyke

Post by Spyke » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:45 pm

We too were always very careful to conserve water when we were just visitors on holiday in Greece and most areas do ask you to use water carefully, especially on the islands. In Stoupa,today, I noticed fountains spraying water everywhere, car parks and cars that had been cleaned and hosed down while, at home, we didn't have a drop! I expect we will eventually have to get a tank (or two), but tanks are only useful if water is supplied for at least part of every day. In our area at the moment, when have had a small amount come through, it has not been at a sufficient pressure to ensure that everyone gets some - while some people's tanks get replenished, others further up the hill get none.

aloni
Dedicated member

Post by aloni » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Probably an unpopular idea, but maybe planning restrictions on swimming pools could help. Are they really necessary when the wonderful sea is so close. We are also mindful of conserving water as we also experienced terrible water shortages a couple of years ago in our village. We had a tank fitted which does help as it fills up at times of the day when water is supplied.
Spyke wrote:We are always aware of not wasting water and as we are on a water meter at home, apply the same measures whilst in Greece.
We also try to use water sparingly as water is also on a meter in Greece so you pay for what you use. Maybe hotels/homes who have swimming pools and thirsty lawns should pay a higher rate to encourage them to cut down so there's more for everyone. Maybe they already do through the tax system :?:

Spyke

Post by Spyke » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:30 pm

I tend to agree. In fact higher water charges all round may give the Dimos some much needed funds for maintenance and repairs. Currently they can't even afford to post out the bills!!!

I don't understand where the "Quote" has come from....I don't recall writing this and when I was just a visitor to Greece I didn't have a water meter at home although we have always taken care not to waste water wherever we have been.

Bandit
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Bandit » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:28 pm

Spyke wrote:I tend to agree. In fact higher water charges all round may give the Dimos some much needed funds for maintenance and repairs. Currently they can't even afford to post out the bills!!!
Sorry I dont agree, do you really think an increase in the cost to the water bill would find its way to doing all the maintenance and repairs :lol:
Again, sorry but Synical old me thinks most of the money would find its way to the nearest Mercedes or BMW showrooms or maybe that much needed extention to a certain someones Villa, and as there is already an issue with water bills not getting paid, I cant see how increasing the cost would help the issue...
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”

Kolofarthos
Dedicated member

Post by Kolofarthos » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:48 pm

......Bandit experienced in syphoning............... :lol:

but I thought that would be from the beer barrel, not somebody's swimming pool!? :?

Bandit
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Bandit » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:19 am

Ah yes kolo...many a "Happy Hour"..spent with a length Plastic tubing :oops: :oops: but best not get into that as its before the "Watershed".... :lol:
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”

Social Media