Another dog killed in Stoupa.....

Here we want to offer the possibility to discuss in a democratic way opinions and suggestions regarding the (touristic) development in the area. Please do not hesitate to post your ideas or thoughts here!

glenick
Addicted member ;-)

Re: Another dog killed in Stoupa.....

Post by glenick » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:51 pm

I seriously can not believe the panic from this thread, we still do not know the circumstances of this situation !! Greece is a different type of country to England and in particular to places like croydon ( i have lived in Croydon all my life) however, even in england, in rural areas dogs are not always seen as pets. Sometimes they are employed on farms to protect farm animals, sometimes they are seen as a risk to farm animals, a friend of mine has a farm in rural england, recently he had a sheep dog that became a risk to his sheep ( his livelyhood) so he shot the dog, i was shocked but he made me understand that things are different in rural areas, dogs are tools on the farm, if they dont work they are of no use, i am not saying i agree but i do now understand.
I have been coming to stoupa for about ten years now with my wife and children, i have always felt completely safe and i find it amusing that someone from croydon ( as i am) is worried about one incident of this type that i know of in years, when there is shootings or stabbings weekly in the croydon area !!!! Stoupa is Beautiful, the people are generous and mostly decent human beings.
If people are reading this thread please do not be put off going to Stoupa, Stoupa is there in all its glory awaiting much needed visitors. so those of you who are scaremongering keep quiet or visit another forum, we do not know the facts and one shot dog however sad that is, does not mean a mass murderer is on the loose !!!

Pete
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Pete » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:10 am

I don't think there is panic .....just concern that a local resident chose to put an end to a dog's life not in the privacy of his own farm or smallholding but in a public area next to a school containing children.

Those of us who bring our dogs here or live with them here are well aware of the risks involved. You may well feel safe with your wife and children when you come on holiday to Stoupa but if you had your dog in tow you may well feel differently and have to take the appropriate precautions which are part of living in Greece especially in a rural setting.

wozzell

Post by wozzell » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:39 am

Tend to agree with Pete on this one - Yes we all know that on rare occurences a dog that may be posing a threat to livestock (or humans) would almost certainly be destroyed and lets not forget that Stoupa is technically classed as an agricultural area - However the manner in which this particular animal was disposed of is the concern (not panic) for not only visitors but residents alike. Alas it is not only this poor animal that has been destroyed but several others have also been posioned over recent months...

Would i still travel to Stoupa with my dog? - Yes - i think with all the recent outrage "our man" would have been warned off by now and normal service will be resumed shortly...

glenick
Addicted member ;-)

Post by glenick » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:12 am

I just think that the whole thing is being blown out of proportion (we were there at the time) 'one person going round with a gun' !! 'shooting dogs' !! 'if there was a shooter in my home town' !! all of a sudden it is becoming plural. I would definitely bring my dog to greece if i could and would not have a problem with it. We walked past where this incident took place several times while we were there without a problem, in fact i encouraged my mother-in-law (who was with us) to walk past every day, several times, day and night and still no problem :twisted:

wizzywaz

Post by wizzywaz » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:14 am

Hi

It seems to me that no one wants to rock the boat locally over this incident!

I am not panicking Glenick far from it after 35 years working in two emergency services this is in context a small incident compared to what I have seen over those years.

Having said that I do believe we have some issues here with the local population being scared to come forward to the Police due to reprisals from the person or person’s family.

I am sure that any Ex Pat living back in the UK knowingly having information on an individual doing a similar thing would by whatever means they felt happy with inform the authorities.

There seems to be a uneasiness to bring this person to account by locals but he has been warned off (By whom as he been warned off)

If this person lived next door to you in Stoupa and you had seen this incident would you be happy with him being warned off by the local population! As I see it this is no better than any inner city in the UK being controlled by the local unelected thugs

Sorry to be so blunt but it beggars belief in some cases that this is acceptable for this to happen in front of a school but then I don’t have to live in the fear of informing the authorities and worry about the reprisals in doing so.

One more point if you look at the image of that dog you will notice the exit wound with his intestines bulging out, you will also see that this dog did not die instantly as part of his intestines are up by his mouth which I would assume was due to him being in tremendous pain and him trying to deal with what was an agonising death!

I do not have to keep quiet about it as I don’t live in Stoupa nor do I have to visit Stoupa as that is my choice to go on holiday wherever I like, I will be sadly giving Stoupa a wide berth

Why you ask with a smirk/frown!

I don’t like the apathy of what I am reading nothing more than that

glenick
Addicted member ;-)

Post by glenick » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:51 am

I am sure that if someone had seen the culprit it would have been reported, so far there has been just hearsay, no actual witnesses, i can assure you wizzywaz that no one is 'keeping quiet' or indeed to my knowledge has anyone been 'warned off' again this is just rumour. The local people, English & Greek would, i am sure report it if there was evidence. I am a dog lover and while i was there, there was a lovely tan coloured dog on stoupa beach before and after the incident, us and another couple fell in love with this dog and i hope it is safe, however all i am saying is ( to the rational people that love stoupa) do not be put off coming to stoupa and the surrounding area because of an isolated incident. Yes we all have a choice where to holiday, i for one will not visit Iraq or Syria this year and nor will i keep logging on to Iraqweb or syriaweb telling their locals that i will not be visiting, if i did they probably would not care. They would however (if i kept on putting other people off visiting) start to think that i was starting to become irratating.

wizzywaz

Post by wizzywaz » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:22 pm

glenick wrote:I am sure that if someone had seen the culprit it would have been reported, so far there has been just hearsay, no actual witnesses, i can assure you wizzywaz that no one is 'keeping quiet' or indeed to my knowledge has anyone been 'warned off' again this is just rumour. The local people, English & Greek would, i am sure report it if there was evidence. I am a dog lover and while i was there, there was a lovely tan coloured dog on stoupa beach before and after the incident, us and another couple fell in love with this dog and i hope it is safe, however all i am saying is ( to the rational people that love stoupa) do not be put off coming to stoupa and the surrounding area because of an isolated incident. Yes we all have a choice where to holiday, i for one will not visit Iraq or Syria this year and nor will i keep logging on to Iraqweb or syriaweb telling their locals that i will not be visiting, if i did they probably would not care. They would however (if i kept on putting other people off visiting) start to think that i was starting to become irratating.
Thanks for taking the time to reply

It is not a isolated incident as one of the posters has said a few dogs have been poisoned over the last few months.

I will leave it there as I dont want to become irratating to you or anyone else

Enjoy Stoupa as I have in the past

Greece is and will be a place we will visit with our motorhome and our beloved dog

Take Care

aurelia

Post by aurelia » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:51 pm

Well, it appears to be my post in particular that Glenick objects to.
I can only go with what I have read on this thread, which I have to say does not seem panic laden to me, but shows frustration and concern about these events.
Assuming all the facts as recorded in this thread are correct it was not an isolated incident, not a one-off crazed dog, there have been witnesses, families have been threatened and their pets have been killed and the situation is deteriorating in that "the shooter" - my term for anyone shooting a gun - has now taken it further by risking the lives of school children in the latest incident. If you click on the link on Pete's post it says this is the 7th such incident.
Also a simple Google search will take you to sites other than this forum that go into much more detail, with photos, about many family pets that have been killed this year in Stoupa. Stoupa residents are clearly very alarmed and talking in much stronger language than any used on this forum.
My extended family have been coming to Stoupa for 20 years...are we not allowed to express our concern on a forum such as this? It is precisely because many of us live in cities with bad crime etc that we relish our holidays in idylic places like Stoupa and actually care about what happens there.
I have always felt very safe there and feel upset, not panicked, that one individual can marr that for residents and tourists alike.

Zissi
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Zissi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:55 pm

shirleyv wrote: The name I heard was Babis Rapteas - there, someone had to say it!
I think this might be a pic (in the 'gallery' http://www.zorbas.de/webcam/gallery.php from 2005) of the alleged perpetrator, if it is he, he doesn't look like an animal hating dangerous psychopath..........

I am absolutely NOT condoning the actions of whoever committed said actions though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wozzell

Post by wozzell » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:28 am

Apologies but when i said whoever was responsible for this act would more than likely have been "warned off" by now was perhaps the wrong choice of wording - (sounds a bit mafia-rish) what i meant was he (and still no one knows or has positively identified who this person is yet) would have by now, probably been "made aware" of and "warned of" not only the postings on this site but others as well and would be foolhardy to attempt anything like this again in the near future (hopefully).

Social Media