Another dog killed in Stoupa.....

Here we want to offer the possibility to discuss in a democratic way opinions and suggestions regarding the (touristic) development in the area. Please do not hesitate to post your ideas or thoughts here!
ADI

Re: Another dog killed in Stoupa.....

Post by ADI » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:24 pm

wizzywaz wrote:It seems to me that no one wants to rock the boat locally over this incident!
I believe the local community are correct in their current actions regarding this, doing / saying nothing. The Police are aware, the head master of the school is aware, let them do their jobs, I have full trust in doing it correctly and professionally.

wizzywaz

Post by wizzywaz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:52 pm

ADI wrote:
wizzywaz wrote:It seems to me that no one wants to rock the boat locally over this incident!
I believe the local community are correct in their current actions regarding this, doing / saying nothing. The Police are aware, the head master of the school is aware, let them do their jobs, I have full trust in doing it correctly and professionally.

Hi ADI

That is all that I wanted to here

I did not like the attitude of some wanting to brush it under the carpet as if it is the culture of the Greek people

Thanks for getting back on this thread

I look forward to a update at some point hopefully

feathers
Addicted member ;-)

Post by feathers » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:57 pm

And the ducks? How do local people feel on that subject?

Oh, to be in Stoupa!

glenick
Addicted member ;-)

Post by glenick » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:49 pm

'and the ducks? How do local people feel on that subject?

Full up i should imagine :D

feathers
Addicted member ;-)

Post by feathers » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:33 am

Oh, to be in Stoupa!

garyh

Post by garyh » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:48 am

To wizzywaz.............

You state..."I did not like the attitude of some wanting to brush it under the carpet as if it is the culture of the Greek people"......I did not say anything about "brushing it under the carpet", my words were that we have to understand different cultural views. I am afraid a lot of people have become very squeamish over the years, whilst I do not want to be harsh, life in the country is harsh. Lets remember, this part of the Greece has existed for thousands of years, rolling happily along, and its only the last 30 odd years that its supposed to become "civilised" for us tourist's.

I will state again, I do not condone what this "person" did, especially where he did it, BUT, this is THEIR country, THEY will live how they have always done (I don't want a Greek person telling me I cant do certain things,because he thinks its cruel). When in Rome, do as the Romans do, otherwise holiday in the Phillipines, when they will not only cruelly kill your dog, but serve it up for you to eat!!!. Harsh I know, but that's life... we all make our own choices, BUT I do understand your views regarding your dogs, if not your decision to stay away from Stoupa.

wizzywaz

Post by wizzywaz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:42 am

garyh wrote:To wizzywaz.............

You state..."I did not like the attitude of some wanting to brush it under the carpet as if it is the culture of the Greek people"......I did not say anything about "brushing it under the carpet", my words were that we have to understand different cultural views. I am afraid a lot of people have become very squeamish over the years, whilst I do not want to be harsh, life in the country is harsh. Lets remember, this part of the Greece has existed for thousands of years, rolling happily along, and its only the last 30 odd years that its supposed to become "civilised" for us tourist's.

I will state again, I do not condone what this "person" did, especially where he did it, BUT, this is THEIR country, THEY will live how they have always done (I don't want a Greek person telling me I cant do certain things,because he thinks its cruel). When in Rome, do as the Romans do, otherwise holiday in the Phillipines, when they will not only cruelly kill your dog, but serve it up for you to eat!!!. Harsh I know, but that's life... we all make our own choices, BUT I do understand your views regarding your dogs, if not your decision to stay away from Stoupa.

Hi GaryH

Yes I did state “I did not like the attitude of some wanting to brush it under the carpet as if it is the culture of the Greek people”

You really need to look at your own posting on here a little more carefully as you are contradicting yourself

On one such post you posted:

“This is one person (who did wrong in my opinion)”

You go on to say in the same posting:

“I know where I would rather live, and its not here in "good old England", the Greeks are different from the English, the English are different from the French, the Spanish, the Dutch, the Norwegians, the Scots (soon to be, fingers crossed), we all have different cultures, we have to learn to understand different cultural views.

So GaryH what is it to be! stop sitting on the fence if it is wrong to KILL this dog in the barbaric way it happened then this person needs to be held to account IF it is a culture issue then he has nothing to answer!

I would say he has broken the law of the land forget about cultures, Greece comes under international law and as such has to answer not only to its own courts but to Brussels as well just like it does with the hand outs!

I am not attacking the good people of Stoupa which is 99.9% of the population if that is what you believe.

I have been informed by ADI that all is in hand with the local authorities in dealing with this incident which is great, a crime has been committed and it is being investigated

I don’t know but I would assume that the main town of stoupa relies on tourisms immensely.

That being the case I would have thought if I was the Major of the town this sort of crime going on in a peaceful beautiful part of the World would not be acceptable as the culture of Stoupa but to you it is GaryH

This will be my last post on the subject (horay I hear some say) unless there is some positive news on the subject

garyh

Post by garyh » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:24 pm

wizzywaz, answers to your statements

...."You really need to look at your own posting on here a little more carefully as you are contradicting yourself ,On one such post you posted: “This is one person (who did wrong in my opinion)”"

Well he did do wrong, by shooting it outside the school.....

...."So GaryH what is it to be! stop sitting on the fence if it is wrong to KILL this dog in the barbaric way it happened then this person needs to be held to account IF it is a culture issue then he has nothing to answer!"

So lets wait and see what happens, I for one will not be holding my breath.

..."I would say he has broken the law of the land forget about cultures, Greece comes under international law and as such has to answer not only to its own courts but to Brussels as well just like it does with the hand outs!

Firstly he has not broken the law, in Greece or even in this country, if he has a licence (if there is such a thing in Greece), he could "possibly" be charged with discharging a weapon in a public place, or possibly endangering the lives of the public, (no sure of the exact wording). He is able to shoot a dog or any animal , on a public highway, in this country, if he holds a licence and has a valid reason. Other posts on this subject have said about dogs being shot for worrying livestock. Also not quite sure what Brussels has to do with it, if he is a criminal, he will tried in the Hague, although I doubt it.

..."I have been informed by ADI that all is in hand with the local authorities in dealing with this incident which is great, a crime has been committed and it is being investigated"

Again, I for one will not be holding my breath.

..."That being the case I would have thought if I was the Major of the town this sort of crime going on in a peaceful beautiful part of the World would not be acceptable as the culture of Stoupa but to you it is GaryH"

I am not sure what being a MAJOR means, but will presume you mean MAYOR.....Do I find it acceptable for shooting a dog, YES AND NO, BUT we dont know all the facts/history/ the dogs innocence or guilt, shame but I think this issue will never be resolved, unless the police take action, but, I for one wont be holding my breath.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Read Parea-sti-Mani for the latest up date, They have got him, but will the police do anything ?unless we all keep on to them.
Sorry but do not share Adi's faith in Police seeing the matter through.....unless we keep on to them.

Charlie Farley

Post by Charlie Farley » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:14 pm

You can use this argument to justify female circumcision, death by stoning and all sorts of other 'cultural' practices. It doesn't wash.

Social Media