Telephone service

Here we want to offer the possibility to discuss in a democratic way opinions and suggestions regarding the (touristic) development in the area. Please do not hesitate to post your ideas or thoughts here!

Stella
Dedicated member

Telephone service

Post by Stella » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:18 am

Annoyed to find that during the spate of power outages we have enjoyed recently, the landline will not work http://www.parea-sti-mani.com/en/inform ... -power-cut. This adds insult to injury as it
is just at a time when you may need to use the phone and inside a concrete and stone house there is in my case a very poor mobile signal.

Grrrh

the reiver
Dedicated member

Re: Telephone service

Post by the reiver » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:16 am

If you have a "walk-about" house phone, it will not work without electricity. However, a fixed line should.

I've been having internet outages and have been pestering Cosmote about it. Three times in six weeks! :?
Reality is an illusion caused by alcohol deficiency. 8-)

Stella
Dedicated member

Post by Stella » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:39 am

The fixed line now doesn't work without power which is something Parea Sti Mani commented on a few months back. The recent power cuts have been irritating and I too have contacted Cosmote. I was promised a reduction in my next bill but am not holding my breath. Very poor customer service as some people I know were told they could not even report a faulty line if they did not own a Greek mobile phone!

The Real Stoupaman
Dedicated member

Post by The Real Stoupaman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:55 pm

No electric = no telephone landline, reiver. I have discussed this with the Cosmote engineers and "that is how it is"!
Not only that but no internet signal, or a faulty modem will also take out your telephone too.
Ridiculous I know but............."that's how it is" :(

The Grocer
Dedicated member

Post by The Grocer » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:09 pm

Try using the splitter you should have had (the one that shows external socket for modem and phone). NOT the filter ....
Plug that directly into the phone wall socket and then your phone to the "phone" socket in the splitter.

This sometimes will work if the phone line is good...

Stella
Dedicated member

Post by Stella » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:17 pm

Sorry to be dense but do you think you could send a link to a picture of what I should be looking to get, please?

leakysheeps

Post by leakysheeps » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:39 pm

Quote from Cosmote web pages:
Ιnfrastructure is also continuously upgraded, following the technological developments. The telephony network will be replaced by VoIP/IMS (IP-Multimedia-Subsystem) architecture. TDM digital exchanges, are gradually withdrawn, in order to be replaced by the modern All-IP network architecture within the following years.
That's the second paragraph on the page https://www.cosmote.gr/fixed/en/corpora ... re/network

What this means is that the old TDM exchanges that provide a low voltage used to power telephone handsets in your home (not the hands free type that you power) are being closed. Those exchanges are more costly for communications companies to maintain and run so they are being replaced by exchanges that use IP communication. These reduce running costs and make remote administration, diagnostics etc simpler.

Skype, Messenger, WhatsApp, etc use IP communication on your computer, tablet or smartphone to allow you to talk to other people. With the new exchange connection, your router is the device that now handles the "telephone" communication. A normal telephone handset will not work on the telephone line on its own. A new type of router is also needed to provide the device, typically the new Speedport routers being supplied by Cosmote have this functionality. The router connects to your telephone socket, your old phone handset is plugged into the router and then functions normally. If you have more than one telephone socket in the house and other handsets, then by using a splitter box you connect another cable from the router into the splitter provided with the router. Other phones then also work normally.

As the original post points out, if you have no electricity, then the router can't function and you can't make or receive phone calls. If you have an UPS to provide power when the electricity is cut, then you can still make and receive calls. If electricity is off for long periods you may need to power down your UPS to conserve the battery in case you need to make a call. Not the ideal situation!

My line has been this way for over a year now. When it was converted and I realised the implications, I wrote emails to Cosmote asking how people should handle an emergency calls when power is cut. Of course I didn't get any answers or acknowledgement of my question.

Stella
Dedicated member

Post by Stella » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:28 am

And that seems to be that! Thanks for the explanation. Having just received my phone bill, I can confirm that, although promised a reduction, one was not shown on the bill. No real surprise.

Stella
Dedicated member

Post by Stella » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:04 pm

Ok, thought it was the end, but not so! Although we can make outgoing calls now, anyone ringing us gets the engaged tone. I rang yet again to report the fault which apparently cannot be fixed remotely and took advantage of the call to voice my concerns about lack of phone during power outages. The gentleman I spoke to is arranging to courier a UPS device with a battery to us free of charge to solve that. We will see.....

Social Media