Does the heat of the Greek Summers bother you?

General topics regarding all other regions of Greece
geckophile
Dedicated member

Re: Does the heat of the Greek Summers bother you?

Post by geckophile » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Thanks mateys!

Thanks for the titbit about medications Reiver, I am going to bring my Repeat Prescription "shipping order" form over with me in May and ask a pharmacist exactly what I can and cannot buy from the list! ;) I'm sure he/she will be delighted to help me - might bribe them with a cake or something!
Joyx
To do is to be. – Aristotle
To be is to do. – Jean Paul Sartre
To be or not to be. - William Shakespeare
Do be do be do. – Frank Sinatra

john m
Dedicated member

Post by john m » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:00 am

Missed this one & a bit late Joy, but this how it works for us. As you know, we live in a hill village approx 1200 metres above sea level. In the heat of the summer temps are around 4c below that of the coast, doesn't sound a lot but it is ! Far more comfortable in the high heat - especially over the past two years.
The house was build by Greeks for Greeks & is modern not old (only fifteern years) the house works superbly as location & direction is just right to catch prevailing breezes in summer & makes most of the light in winter. We have large windows, but all have large projecting roofs over them & keep out direct sunlight. This means that we can keep all shutters & windows open in summer - I'm a creature of the light, not night ! Had we have built the house, we would have built differently & got it wrong ! We have aircon in the bedrooms - needed for the past two years. For holidays you can always do without, but on a permanent basis, I would say (personaly that is) that it is a must, just don't set it too low. Most else is common sense, you're not on hols, so don't need to be in the sun all the time. Even those 40c days are comfortable with a little thought.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

lizzie

Post by lizzie » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:06 pm

It was good to hear Jonh M's response to your item which has confirmed that, hopefully we have made some good decisions regards our house.

Thankfully we have been in the position of designing our own home. We love the light, and would love to sit in our sitting room admiring the sea views during the winter months, therefore we have large patio type windows, shielded from the sun by covered verandas on the East, West and South. We have a slightly elevated position (not as high a John M) but enough to get a breeze throughout the house. Also we have agreed high specification insulation for the building which should mean it will be coolish in summer and warm during the winter and, with airconditioning to living areas, and central heating plus wood burning stove for heat during the winter, should give us year round comfort. The kitchen has been sited on the north side of the house, I think, for obvious reasons.

We will probably rise early during the hottest days and then relax of our verandas during the middle of the day - sounds wonderful to me!

geckophile
Dedicated member

Post by geckophile » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:34 pm

Oh Lizzie you lucky lucky girl! I am so envious. But with a bit of luck that will our life soon too - can't come soon enough for me!
Bliss!
Hope you enjoy many years in your Greek home :D
Joyx

lizzie

Post by lizzie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:37 pm

Well I'm not exactly a girl!

Yes I do feel lucky which is probaly due to my husband's good financial management, my Greek friends and their families' involvement in the land purchase and some hard work.

This has not happened overnight - all in all probably 2 years which included: buying the land the first of many stages: appointing a good project manager; raising cash here in England to cover the first payment; and now realising the final payment on the project has taken time and resources. We are now in the throes of sorting out years of memorbillia (aka junk) from our home with plans to place it on the market in May hoping for a sale in September or October. And then we will be homeless!

Joy please read my other comments I have left under your other topic.

I wish you all the best and perhaps we will meet in future - who knows?

geckophile
Dedicated member

Post by geckophile » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:06 pm

I came across this old thread whilst searching for something- and thought I would let Lizzie (if she's still around) and anyone else who "knows" me know that we are now here in Greece! We bought a little village house in 2009, sold our UK house in May this year (within 2 days!) and moved here in early September. We are in a small village just north-west of Kalamata, up a few hills so we enjoy a nice climate. We have kind, generous and helpful neighbours who gave us a wonderful welcome. We have just had aircon - the more efficient "inverter" units - installed in the bedroom and office (I will be working as a V.A. part-time) and today we took delivery of our brand new car - a treat for us, we've never had a NEW car before!

When we arrived it was very hot - but we were fine. I cooled down in the daytime by dunking myself under the outside shower - blissful - and at night I had a small fan blowing on my face, which was soothing even though I was hot everywhere else!

It seems we are acclimatising already. Tonight we have the new soba going - when the sun goes down it gets positively chilly! :lol:

the reiver
Dedicated member

Post by the reiver » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:14 pm

Funny, but I was thinking today that you hadn't posted for a while, and lo and behold you pop up. :)

So glad you're settling in and enjoying the fine days and albeit cooler nights. Maybe "The Donkey" will organise a get together in the big K one afternoon !!

8-)
Reality is an illusion caused by alcohol deficiency. 8-)

Kolofarthos
Dedicated member

Post by Kolofarthos » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:37 pm

Now there's a challenge for him!

Well done Gecko. Jealousy pervades all around me and yes the Greek heat does still bother me as I :cry: am getting none of it here in the UK.

geckophile
Dedicated member

Post by geckophile » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks chaps! We've not been in touch with the infamous Mr Donkey yet, or quite a few other friends, as we have been so busy getting essentials done, such as buying a car/getting residence permits/visits to the bank, even a visit to the hospital (I gashed my leg and needed stitches - and received excellent care). It's been all go! :D The next thing we need is a proper kitchen - this Greek-style one of a cooker, sink and wobbly table is a pain in the proverbial!

So far though, it's felt like a long holiday - we haven't quite yet realised we are here for good and are wondering when it will sink in.... ;)

the reiver
Dedicated member

Post by the reiver » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:08 pm

You'll have to change your "signature" now !!! :D

8-)
Reality is an illusion caused by alcohol deficiency. 8-)

Social Media