Tripoli - shocking situation

General topics regarding all other regions of Greece

Donaldo
Addicted member ;-)

Tripoli - shocking situation

Post by Donaldo » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:02 am

I had the misfortune to have to travel to Tripoli yesterday. Apart from the weather being dark, cold and wet it was a shock to the system to see (apparently) around 5000 tonnes of uncollected garbage in and around the city. I asked a resident what was happening and his version was that since a local election last September not a single piece of rubbish has been collected by the Dimos. There is much bad feeling between the winners and losers of the said election and that the local land fill site had been closed. The guy I was talking to said that the area was overrun by vermin, smell and disease and that nobody either nationally or locally seemed to be doing anything. Once again you have to feel for the ordinary citizens apparently caught in the middle of politics……………I can't imagine the conditions once the temperature rises. I have not seen anything similar in any part of Europe or other places dubbed, "third world"……….any of you experts out there have any idea of what is going on???

The Grocer
Dedicated member

Re: Tripoli - shocking situation

Post by The Grocer » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:44 pm

Same in Pyrgos.....
If I had to suffer that I think I would be getting all the village to take the rubbish to the Dimos and leave on the doorstep each week.

Zissi
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Zissi » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:33 pm

Pete
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Pete » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:13 pm

As I understand it Greece has scores of illegal landfills throughout the country which have been attracting fines of 7000E per day since a ruling back in 2005. I don't imagine these fines have ever been paid so doubt that is the reason for the closure in Tripoli and elsewhere.....will just be a matter of a lack of cash, managerial incompetence and inability or impetus to rehabilitate to EU standards these environmentally dangerous landfill sites.

Pete
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Pete » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:13 pm

and it stinks....

Donaldo
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Donaldo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:35 pm

Pete, fancy going halves on a state of the art, green / clean, super efficient rubbish incinerator that turns waste into electricity with no carbon emission? I will have a look on e-bay.
Seriously what is going to happen, it's a national disgrace and a major health issue for the people living in and around Tripoli. The guy I was talking to said that things had improved slightly in the last few weeks as the Dimos had sent in some machinery to pile the bags/sacks up and free up some of the pavements……….scant consolation methinks.

Social Media