Getting Colder

Discuss here topics regarding the Messinian Peninsula: Messini, Velika, Petalidi, Chrani, Koroni, Finikounda, Methoni, Pylos, Gargaliani and all the other marvelous villages inbetween...
nickandchris
Dedicated member

Getting Colder

Post by nickandchris » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:55 pm

Anyone (in England, I guess those living there will have felt it!) notice how cold it has been in Koroni today? Down to 7c and lots of new snow on the hills. Nearly as cold as here!!!!

Stella
Dedicated member

Re: Getting Colder

Post by Stella » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:06 am

Last night was the coldest night I have ever had in Greece and this morning the puddles in Stoupa are actually frozen. There is brilliant sunshine and the surroundings look beautiful with snow on the tops of the hills. I have been watching the Greek TV and most of the news programmes are taken up with the bad weather which has caused chaos particularly in Evia. The snow and the high winds together have led to school closures and villages being cut off. I feel particularly for those who suffered in the fires of the summer and hope that they are no longer house in pre-fabs.

john m
Dedicated member

Post by john m » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:43 am

Certainly was a cold one Stella. Here in the village (Altitude 400 metres) it was -2c yesterday first thing & we had the stove lit all day. Today got up to -4c & it was obviously a lot colder overnight. This morning we had cold water, but the hot water pipes (supply from the roof) were frozen solid & only just thawed out.
Remenber all those out there with citrus trees - cover with bubble wrap or other insulation if possible, otherwise they will suffer considerable damage.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

SusieH

Post by SusieH » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:36 pm

Brrrrrrr John!!!!

The frost here has killed off the damson, cherry and apricot blossom which came out in the warm weather.

Still at least now you are back ion Greece you are avoiding our minus 7 temps!!!

No chance of a dip in the sea today then!!!!

Susie

Chas
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Chas » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:03 pm

CLICK for ERT news item

Watch out on the Athens-Corinth highway :!:
Chas

A Roman said "it is sweet to die for one's country"; Greeks (even Leonidas) never say "it is sweet to die" for anything. Image

richie

Post by richie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:05 pm

Hi John M
Remenber all those out there with citrus trees - cover with bubble wrap or other insulation if possible, otherwise they will suffer considerable damage.
Don't you worry about citrus trees my old ship mate.... you make sure you wrap yourself in bubble wrap we dont want you going down with man flu again. ;)

Richie

john m
Dedicated member

Post by john m » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:00 pm

Hey Richie - Not allowed to be ill again this year, not much point anyway, very little sympathy at this end, the camboarders also, except for your goodself that is, have failed miserably to heap their condolences upon my pain wracked body ! It's a good job that we know what suffering is eh ?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

nickandchris
Dedicated member

Post by nickandchris » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:18 pm

Good job you've all got your wood burners installed!! (John, you mut have known this weather was imminent.) I guess wood will be at a premium now!!

richie

Post by richie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:48 pm

John M

I don’t know what your like when you get Man Flu but I find it hard to convince my wife that I have it! :(

So I have looked around and found a page for those who need reassuring of the systems of Man Flu.

Well when I say found a page for Man Flu….. it’s well normal Flu symptoms that women get but demonstrated by a man (equal rights me thinks) anyway they will have to use a bit of imagination as Man Flu is well worst like 10 times worst…… So my Doctors says and he’s a man so he should know?

http://www.influenzaworld.com/portal/ei ... ector_game

B & B

Post by B & B » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:50 pm

We have just come back from Egypt, & although I expected it to be cold during the night, I did not expect it to be so cold, wet & windy, by the Pyramids, in the desert, during the day. But then I don't think the locals did either. The cold snap was obviously coming from Greece.

Barbara

Social Media