September in Finikounda

Discuss here topics regarding the Messinian Peninsula: Messini, Velika, Petalidi, Chrani, Koroni, Finikounda, Methoni, Pylos, Gargaliani and all the other marvelous villages inbetween...
Fina
Addicted member ;-)

September in Finikounda

Post by Fina » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:28 pm

We will be visiting Finikounda in September staying at the Kalista ( Used to be Sonias). Anyone got any information on these please. Have visited Fini before 2012 and stayed at the Fotis.

Thanks

feathers
Addicted member ;-)

Re: September in Finikounda

Post by feathers » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:47 pm

Hi Fina!
Yes, we stayed in the Kallisti with Sonia and her family this June. They are lovely, friendly people and will help you with anything you need.
The studios are spacious and well furnished and have a kettle and toaster as well as a fair sized fridge. In the days of Kosmar they were always the very best places to stay, being new and modern, but their age is showing a bit these days. Our shower cubicle had one door missing and was covered in limescale....nobody seems to have heard of Viakal! The bathroom did stay dry though, if you directed the water towards the wall tiles!
Our room was 212 on the top floor, towards the back of the building, with a side sea view and it was cool in the afternoon, as opposed to the ones on the front which we heard were hot, being exposed to lots of sun. There is a good sized balcony but no clothes drier stand, so take some strong string and pegs to attach to the balcony rail for bits of washing. Bins were emptied every day, but not much cleaning done throughout the two weeks. Sonia's mother, who mostly looked after the place, had had an accident and was out of action, so that could have been the reason, although there was another cleaner around as well.
We preferred Kallisti to either of the Thomas Cook hotels where we had stayed before. The alternative is to go independently, or with Sunvil and pay much more for really swish accommodation. We think Kallisti is the happy medium!

Hope this helps...if you want to know more I'll try and answer your questions.

Oh, to be in Stoupa!

Fina
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Fina » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:08 pm

Hi Feathers,

Thank you for replying. We have been to Finikounda before 2012 travelled with Sunvil, but thought the prices were way too high this year. We stayed at the Fotis last time. We just like basic Greek accomodation. think Kallisti sounds ideal for us. We have asked for a seaview but after being in Stoupa in June/July when it was very hot with a room in the afternoon sun I wish we hadn't. We may get a side sea view, it should be cooler in September. Thanks for the tip about the drying line and pegs.

I will let you know how we get on.

Thanks
Fina

feathers
Addicted member ;-)

Post by feathers » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:09 pm

I'm sure you'll be OK at the Kallisti, Fina, we had a lovely holiday and will probably go back next year. With Thomas Cook the aircon is included in the price (at least it was when WE booked!), so hopefully you can keep your room as cool as you want.
Finikounda is the same as ever this year, except that more sunbeds and umbrellas have appeared on the beach. Still plenty of room if you just want to lie on a towel though. We had one disappointment....our favourite taverna, Benetiko, which was just down the road from the Kallisti, has closed and has reopened as a more modern cafe style restaurant which didn't appeal to us at all. However all the others are still there, so no lack of choice. Our current favourite is the Oinoysses, again close to Kallisti. It was very popular in June and Stavros will make you very welcome.

I'd love to hear how you get on.....enjoy your holiday!!!

Oh, to be in Stoupa!

Fina
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Fina » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:11 am

Hi Feathers, Sorry for late reply. Long story.....

I think Benetico was our favourite when we were there in 2012. Will give Oinoysses a try. Also like the look of To Steki. Need the holiday now as I have been in hospital.

I will be in touch when we get back.
Fina

Fina
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Fina » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:27 pm

Hi Feathers,

you wern't wrong we loved the Kallisti, very clean large apartment. We were on the bottom floor next to reception with a sea view. The aircon was free. Loved Finikounda. Will we visit again? Can't wait to get back !!!!!

Fina

feathers
Addicted member ;-)

Post by feathers » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:01 pm

Hello again Fina

So pleased to hear you enjoyed Finikounda. It's makes for a more peaceful, laidback holiday than Stoupa, I think you'll agree, and the people are lovely.

We shall be going again next June.....may see you there?

PS We came back from Stoupa last Sunday after a delightful fortnight's holiday. Even THE STORM showed us a different side to the place, although I wouldn't wish that on anyone ever again, of course.

Is it possible that we were on the same plane to Birmingham?????!!!!!

Oh, to be in Stoupa!

Fina
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Fina » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi Feathers

We must of been on the same flight, We were in row 27 out, 28 flying back. The Storm in Finikounda wasn't as bad as Stoupa. In fact both me and my husband slept through it, the worst being about 3am on the Wednesday morning. Everyone else seems to of been woken up. Very windy all day on the Wednesday, by Thursday all back to normal. We have booked Stoupa again for 3 weeks in June/July next year. We booked this before this months visit to Finikounda. I think if we hadn't we would be going to Finikounda in June. Not sure about a 2nd holiday next year.

Fina

feathers
Addicted member ;-)

Post by feathers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi Fina

Well fancy that, we WERE on the same flight....pity we didn't realise it at the time, we could have had our very own Camboarders Meeting!! We were the other end of the plane in row 4 out and back.

Have just booked the Kallisti in Finikounda again for next June. What date are you going out to Stoupa....who knows, we might see each other yet!!! :D

Oh, to be in Stoupa!

Fina
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Fina » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:09 pm

Wish we had known Feathers....

Next year fly out from Birmingham 18th June return 9th July.

Fina

Social Media