Straw Bales

This is the forum from residents for residents. Ask here your questions or give your tips regarding all general topics like household, gardening, craftsmen but also shopping, pets or ...

latinize

Straw Bales

Post by latinize » Sun May 22, 2011 12:35 pm

Does anyone know of a straw bale supplier near Stoupa, Kalamata or Koroni? Looking for someone who could supply a large quantity of quality straw bales.

Contact latinlounge@vegemail.com

zorbas2
camBoard admin

Re: Straw Bales

Post by zorbas2 » Sun May 22, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi,

I am not sure if it such a good idea to publish your email address here. You may get a huge amount of spam instead of straw. If you want me to delete it let me know.

But what I usually wanted to ask: Are you going to build a house with the straw bales??
Stephan Bartholomä
zorbas.de - stoupa.fr - sourmelina.com

latinize

Post by latinize » Mon May 23, 2011 10:16 am

I refer giving an email address rather than a telephone number. I can handle any amount of spam.

Yes, I intend to build a house using straw bales.

zorbas2
camBoard admin

Post by zorbas2 » Mon May 23, 2011 9:16 pm

I find that really interesting as I heard a lot about such houses.
I have a small wooden house in Mani without a concrete base. When they saw this house they categorised it as an 'Apothiki' as they couldn't imagine that one can live in such a thing. So I never had a fine building it without a licence...
Stephan Bartholomä
zorbas.de - stoupa.fr - sourmelina.com

Paskalis
Dedicated member

Post by Paskalis » Tue May 24, 2011 12:02 pm

On the British Channel 4 program Grand Designs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Designs) there was featured a British couple who built a straw bale house in France. The motivation was cost and the superior insulation factors. The program showed the construction of the house from the very beginning to completion and the time after. The series can be downloaded from the Internet.

WARNING: During construction, it would not be a good idea to let Kalamata Donkey anywhere near the straw bale house for obvious reasons.

john m
Dedicated member

Post by john m » Tue May 24, 2011 12:35 pm

... Or "The big bad Wolf" !
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

KalamataDonkey
Dedicated member

Post by KalamataDonkey » Tue May 24, 2011 5:46 pm

Paskalis wrote: ........... WARNING: During construction, it would not be a good idea to let Kalamata Donkey anywhere near the straw bale house for obvious reasons.
Yummy! :mrgreen:

manimutant

Post by manimutant » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:53 am

Did you ever find a supplier for straw bales? I found one in Malta last year, but he doesn't have any this year :-(

Trifecta

Post by Trifecta » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:06 pm

There is a "shop" as you drive past Finikounda on the road to Methoni. As you come down the hill it is just before the turning for the church and is next to a pet supplies shop, had bales of straw in there for the last 18 months or so.

Social Media