Thinking of importing a UK car ?

This is the forum from residents for residents. Ask here your questions or give your tips regarding all general topics like household, gardening, craftsmen but also shopping, pets or ...

The Grocer
Dedicated member

Thinking of importing a UK car ?

Post by The Grocer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:50 am

Some of us have imported and registered our UK cars here in Greece, not the easiest thing to do in some areas but under EU directive this was accepted.

THIS WILL CHANGE AFTER BREXIT......

As from the withdrawal date, Directive 2007/46/EC will cease to apply to the United Kingdom. This means that, as from that date, the United Kingdom approval authority will cease to be an EU type-approval authority under Directive 2007/46/EC. As a result, it will not be possible as from the withdrawal date for a manufacturer to place on the EU market motor vehicles accompanied by a certificate of conformity referring to a type-approval granted by the United Kingdom approval authority formerly competent under EU law. In particular, the United Kingdom approval authority will no longer be in a position to perform any of the functions and activities of an approval authority for the purposes of Directive 2007/46/EC with respect to type-approvals it granted prior to the withdrawal date. Moreover, the United Kingdom approval authority will no longer be able to issue revisions or extensions to such approvals on the basis of Article 14 of Directive 2007/46/EC."

Brexit, the benefits just keep coming...not!

john m
Dedicated member

Re: Thinking of importing a UK car ?

Post by john m » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:01 pm

Support your Country of residence...Just buy a Greek registered car in the first place. Ok. initial cost may be higher than in U.K. But depreciation on used vehicle market in Greece is far less. Swings and roundabout really !
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

bsamways

Post by bsamways » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:02 pm

I looked into it last year, and came to the conclusion that under current rules, it just was not worth the hassle. Complex enough buying any car in Greece, the prospect of re-registering/ importing is crazy and expensive.
In reality, complaining about Brexit causing extra problems is just scaremongering. If you live in Greece, accept the fact, and don't expect being British means you should have it somehow easier than the Greeks.

aloni
Dedicated member

Post by aloni » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Does anyone know what the position would be if I were to buy a used left hand drive car in the UK (many of which are registered in France/Poland etc) and then drove it to Greece. Could this then be re-registered in Greece? Used cars seem far too pricey in Greece - especially as I'd only be using it for the odd couple of weeks here and there. Just weighing up the huge cost of hiring cars versus buying one!

bsamways

Post by bsamways » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:33 am

When I looked into this, keeping any car you drive over more than six months in Greece without legally importing it (if I remember correctly) is illegal, irrespective of which EU country it was originally registered. Also, there is the issue of insurance, UK insurers charge a fortune to insure in Greece for any continuous period longer than a month or six weeks, and Greek insurers will not insure a non-Greek car.
I know we see "loads" of cars in Stoupa with UK number plates, put probably most are illegal.
After looking into this, I thought the best options are:
1. Less than six weeks in Greece, drive UK car.
2. Up to six months, long term rental.
3. More than six months, buy a Greek car.

Social Media