Or Cornwall

The place to talk about favorite food, drinks and recipes...
Adonis
Addicted member ;-)
Location: a wind and rain swept rock to the North of the Peloponnese

Or Cornwall

Post by Adonis » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:56 pm

One or two of these with a heap of chips......
origcornishpasty(1).jpg

and mayby a pint or three of best bitter :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seemples

The Sixth Brother

Re: Or Cornwall

Post by The Sixth Brother » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:39 pm

Adonis wrote:One or two of these with a heap of chips......
origcornishpasty(1).jpg

and mayby a pint or three of best bitter :D
A Ginster's "Cornish" Pasty is primarily made for export to England to be consumed with chips or even a salad should you prefer.
A Cornishman would never contemplate or feel the need to eat a genuine Cornish Pasty with anything. Surely a plate would be needed for that. My dear old grand-mother would have slapped me with a pilchard if I had asked for chips with one of her pasties!! I could recommend a local business near to St.Ives where these sentiments could be well and truly put to the test.
I never drink to excess because I like to know when I am having a good time

john m
Dedicated member

Post by john m » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Ah now you're talking ! Way back when & in the days when the world was a different place, my old mates Ma down in Falmouth made fantastic pasties (I omit Cornish as it didn't seem necessary) Not much meat & with flaked onion, potato & maybe turnip? The years have clouded the ingredients, but not the taste & also the shape was that it was folded upwards to the centre & not along the edge, they were that big that one filled the plate & you could not have eaten anything else with it. Now on the other side of the Torpoint ferry at a certain establishment outside of a dockyard gate, simply known as "Ma's" You could get an "Oggie" with a sausage inserted, known as an oggie special.... But there again that's Devon for you :D
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

The Sixth Brother

Post by The Sixth Brother » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:47 pm

Was more than impressed, John, with your description as to what you consider makes up the basic ingredients of a pasty. I have deliberately omitted the word "Cornish" here as I rather feel the word crept in with the advent of mass tourism in this part of the world as it helped give the impression our guests were enjoying something unique to the area. To us Cornish a pasty was purely and simply just that.
Coincidentally, this very day in our weekly local, The West Briton, there is an article referring to a ruling passed by the European Commission to the effect that only pasties produced in the County can be called Cornish pasties from now on. This decision ends nearly a decade of campaigning by producers to be awarded the celebrated Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) status. This puts my wife's pasty on a par with Champagne, Parma ham and Stilton Cheese to name but a few!!
As for your comments regarding certain activities outside the Royal Naval Dockyard in Devonport, what goes on in England has absolutely nothing to do with this side of the Tamar.
I never drink to excess because I like to know when I am having a good time

john m
Dedicated member

Post by john m » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:58 am

Stolen from Cornwall but with all good intentions.... I give you my own attempt at creating the masterpiece - with lamb used to give a more authentic "Greek" theme, meat, potato, onion, swede, carrot, salt & lots of black pepper & cased in shortcrust pastry. Served of course with my own Northern preference of mushy peas ! :o :D
Cornish Pasty 004.jpg
Cornish Pasty 001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KalamataDonkey
Dedicated member

Post by KalamataDonkey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:07 pm

I was based at HMS Seahawk in Helston for a year and the local pasties were amazing and were simply a meal in themselves. We were often told that all that was needed to accompany a pastie was a jar of scrumpy! :mrgreen:

john m
Dedicated member

Post by john m » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Wow ! - One whole year !... I expect to see your complete travel guide on the area very soon then :D :mrgreen:

KalamataDonkey
Dedicated member

Post by KalamataDonkey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:16 pm

can give you a detailed one of the road between the base and Helzephron pub! :mrgreen:

john m
Dedicated member

Post by john m » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:18 am

Ahhh - Gunwalloe, now there's a place that rolls off the tongue & the Helzepron sounds good ?
http://halzephron-inn.co.uk/index.html
Comforting to read in the heading that the same ownership has been under Mrs Thomas for the past fifteen years ! :D

KalamataDonkey
Dedicated member

Post by KalamataDonkey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:08 am

john m wrote:Ahhh - Gunwalloe, now there's a place that rolls off the tongue & the Helzepron sounds good ?
http://halzephron-inn.co.uk/index.html
Comforting to read in the heading that the same ownership has been under Mrs Thomas for the past fifteen years ! :D
Wow! That's the one John! Even spelt right there! When I decided to move off base and live ashore I rented myself a little cottage in Gunwalloe, just up the road from the pub! :mrgreen:
As the pub is round the back of the airbase, it was known that on quiet weekends when one was on SAR duty (supposedly on stand-by in the squadron crewroom) that duty flightcrew were to be found using the Halzephron as their stand-by crewroom! Consequently, it had to happen, I was in the pub (not on duty myself on that occasion) swinging the lamp with a couple of the duty flightcrew when somebody came charging into the pub asking to use the phone to call in a person fallen down the cliff opposite the pub! The flightcrew jumped up and as they were heading for the door shouted, "don't call it in for a couple of minutes so that we can get back on base!" Ahhhh, such were the relaxed attitudes of the 1970's!! :mrgreen:

Social Media