Or Cornwall

The place to talk about favorite food, drinks and recipes...
The Sixth Brother

Re: Or Cornwall

Post by The Sixth Brother » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:48 pm

The last thing I expected to see on this forum was a photograph of a pasty purported to be of a Cornish ilk, manufactured in the Messinian Peninsular. Not only that but a list of its ingredients for our consideration. I immediately sought Mrs Pasty's reaction and her first impression was that visually this was a very good effort indeed but she was not overly impressed with the use of lamb and carrots. She did qualify this by mentioning that "The proof of the pasty is in its eating"
With this in mind she has asked me to mention, John, that she will be accompanying me to Finikounda again this year when we shall be guests of the Korakakis family at their hotel from 26 June for 14 nights. She has suggested you might wish to bring an example of your work to her there for her personal perusal between swimming and the odd glass or two of ouzo when your Cornish culinary expertise could truly be put to the test.
I would hasten to add, however, that from bitter experience we know that her home-made pasties do not travel at all well especially when they are subjected to the vigours associated with high altitudes - they were, of course, originally intended to go underground not above it!!
Therefore there can be no question of Mrs Pasty bringing an example of her art in pasty making to Messinia for you to experience first hand
I never drink to excess because I like to know when I am having a good time

Kolofarthos
Dedicated member

Post by Kolofarthos » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:25 am

Don't get Mrs Pasty to bring them - make them on site!! ;)

She's sure to get lots of expat mani customers and you can have a 'cook off' with John :D

john m
Dedicated member

Post by john m » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:20 am

Indeed sixth brother, I admit that the ingredients might be found wanting by the tin miners of Cornwall & I am suitably admonished for the contents by your good lady. I did however feel that perhaps the odd local shepherd may find the taste to their own particular liking & a change from the usual horta & souvlakia.
A pasty tasting event would be most convivial during your stay in Fini & as you will be there for two weeks, even my efforts may help with any withdrawl symptoms you may be having :D :mrgreen:
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

KalamataDonkey
Dedicated member

Post by KalamataDonkey » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:52 am

john m wrote:Indeed sixth brother, I admit that the ingredients might be found wanting by the tin miners of Cornwall & I am suitably admonished for the contents by your good lady. I did however feel that perhaps the odd local shepherd may find the taste to their own particular liking & a change from the usual horta & souvlakia.
A pasty tasting event would be most convivial during your stay in Fini & as you will be there for two weeks, even my efforts may help with any withdrawl symptoms you may be having :D :mrgreen:
Can I be one of the judges? :mrgreen:

Kolofarthos
Dedicated member

Post by Kolofarthos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:17 am

Spoken by a true trencherman, Mr. Donkey :lol:

Adonis
Addicted member ;-)
Location: a wind and rain swept rock to the North of the Peloponnese

Post by Adonis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:01 am

trencherman [ˈtrɛntʃəmən]
n pl -men
1. (Cookery) a person who enjoys food; hearty eater
2. Archaic a person who sponges on others; parasite

So precisely which definition did you have in mind Mr Kolofarthos ;)
Seemples

KalamataDonkey
Dedicated member

Post by KalamataDonkey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:43 am

Adonis wrote:trencherman [ˈtrɛntʃəmən]
n pl -men
1. (Cookery) a person who enjoys food; hearty eater
2. Archaic a person who sponges on others; parasite

So precisely which definition did you have in mind Mr Kolofarthos ;)
May I claim both together? After all, one can't truly enjoy food to it's full if it's been paid for by oneself! Good food always tastes better when it's been paid for by another! :mrgreen:

Kolofarthos
Dedicated member

Post by Kolofarthos » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:04 am

Mr. Adonis,

I see Mr. Donkey already knows which side his bread is buttered on! Safe to say I don't think many will disagree with his opportune admission ;)

K Farty, Esquire.

Social Media