taverna olive oil threat

Read here at your own risk!
This forum is meant to be used for general 'chit-chat' and for topics not fitting in one of the other boards. Posts not meeting the rules will be deleted!

Stella
Dedicated member

taverna olive oil threat

Post by Stella » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:56 pm

You don’t say whether this is a good thing or not? I am in favour of anything which reduces plastic waste. The really daft thing in my opinion is the new law that oil served at taverna tables has to be in a sealed plastic pouch! Can’t see that happening any time soon in Stoupa.

zorbas2
camBoard admin

taverna olive oil threat

Post by zorbas2 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:53 am

4 cents are not enough in my opinion. 20 cents would sound better to me....
This oil on the table thing is just ridiculous! If I will see that in future on Greek taverna tables and I would need some more oil on my salad for example I would ask politely the waiter if the kitchen could put some more...
Stephan Bartholomä
zorbas.de - stoupa.fr - sourmelina.com

Stella
Dedicated member

taverna olive oil threat

Post by Stella » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:30 pm

http://www.greekliquidgold.com/index.ph ... aurant-law Just seen this, interested to hear Stefan’s views!

timmillea

taverna olive oil threat

Post by timmillea » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:42 am

Just as Ghandhi 'made salt' illegally to poke the British Empire in the eye, I would serve olive oil in the traditional way as protest against unwarranted dictatorial interference from on high.

The Mani has always been independent, I cannot see it following such bureaucratic nonsense any time soon.

Liquid gold? I was thinking that the Mani needed its own currency. Perhaps the 'Olive'?

Tim.

zorbas2
camBoard admin

taverna olive oil threat

Post by zorbas2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:59 am

Stella wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:30 pm
http://www.greekliquidgold.com/index.ph ... aurant-law Just seen this, interested to hear Stefan’s views!
To tell the truth I did not read the whole article.
It just makes me angry when I think of a family owned restaurant who want to put their own oil on the table. Anyway most olive oil farmers do not get enough money for their oil and taverna owners who have to pay rent are struggling as well. Both together is just impossible nowadays. All this stupid regulations make some people more rich and many others even more poor...
Stephan Bartholomä

nmurray

Re: taverna olive oil threat

Post by nmurray » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:22 pm

I believe this is an EU directive if I am not mistaken?
Probably introduced to increase the sale of olive oil by producing waste (most people won't bother taking remaining oil away with them).
I look forward to visiting Mani this year to see how well this law has been implemented - I'm not holding my breath on this one.
What about vinegar, sea salt, a glass of house wine and perhaps the basket of bread all need to come sealed?
I believe it will be impossible for small family tavernas (especially in the remoter villages) to comply - it's their own oil they are serving.
I can't speak for the rest of you but the reason I return each year to Mani is because of the way it is, faults included.

zorbas2
camBoard admin

Post by zorbas2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:04 am

I can't agree more nmurray. Unfortunately it does not only affect tavernas in remoted villages but also many in Stoupa, Agios Nikolaos or Kardamyli...
Stephan Bartholomä

feathers
Addicted member ;-)

Post by feathers » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:56 pm

nmurray wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:22 pm

I can't speak for the rest of you but the reason I return each year to Mani is because of the way it is, faults included.
Hear hear! And long may it stay that way! :D

Oh, to be in Stoupa!

Social Media