What are we doing. Self isolation.

Read here at your own risk!
This forum is meant to be used for general 'chit-chat' and for topics not fitting in one of the other boards. Posts not meeting the rules will be deleted!
bsamways

Re: What are we doing. Self isolation.

Post by bsamways » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:08 am

Saw in the news this morning that yesterday (Sunday 9 Aug) that 202 new cases of covid-19 detected in Greece, it's now officially higher than that in the UK (per head of population). I've been trying to find how many people have been tested, so as to put this into some kind of perspective, but cannot find the info.

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:58 pm

Well, according to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ today, Uk has tested 270,146 per 1M population and Greece has 63,182 per 1M so looks like we have over 4 times the number of tests per 1M as Greece. Although the total number of cases in Greece is way below UK, there does seem to have been a significant rise in new cases since 29th July, 1,287 against 9,370 in the UK. They have 552 cases per 1M vs our 4,588 per 1M.

bsamways

Post by bsamways » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:09 am

Those figures show the total number of positive tests, and positives, since the epidemic started. Relevant figures are the current positives, figures released yesterday (Sunday 16 Aug) show that when adjusted for population the Greek numbers are above those of the UK. I am not trying to make this some kind of competition. My point is that those countries that appeared to do well at first were always likely to be hit by a second wave, opening the economy is a major risk for all countries, those dependant on tourism even more. Spain and France are the best (worse) examples, hit by a terrible first wave and now suffering a truly awful second.
Another point I would make is that the rate of testing and the way countries count deaths are vastly different. Interesting study published re deaths in care homes, across Europe, last week. Although this has been very damaging for the UK government, the figures show that England's death rate has been one of the lowest, whilst Germany one of the highest. The media in the UK has used figures to score political points and rarely puts figures into perspective.

bsamways

Post by bsamways » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:00 am

Latest update: 17 Sept 2020.
Well, a few days of half decent weather here in Sunny Nunny has had me out running, cycling and walking more than usual (nearly as many hills here as Stoupa). Not sure how many nice days will be left until autumn and winter weather resumes (believe it or not, had to turn the central heating on for a few days towards the end of August). Couple that with the uncertainty re local lockdowns and all that doom and gloom, probably getting out for exercise will be all I'll be doing soon. The wife has already done most of her Christmas shopping (just in case), so she is just about ready to go into hibernation for the next six months. I was checking out the holiday companies websites re holidaying in Stoupa next year and they are already just about booked up solid, so maybe missing out for another year!! Been enjoying the "Inside the Mani" videos on youtube, but these seem to have slowed down recently, come on Matt we need our "fix".

Social Media