Now that looks like a good steak...

Read here at your own risk!
This forum is meant to be used for general 'chit-chat' and for topics not fitting in one of the other boards. Posts not meeting the rules will be deleted!

Adonis
Addicted member ;-)
Location: a wind and rain swept rock to the North of the Peloponnese

Now that looks like a good steak...

Post by Adonis » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:39 am

http://www.fivebellshessett.co.uk

Is Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk far from here ;)
Seemples

KalamataDonkey
Dedicated member

Re: Now that looks like a good steak...

Post by KalamataDonkey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Got back last night from 3 days in Athens yet again and so felt that mrs donkey and I deserved a really good meal to get over the trauma of Athens..... So we went to the restaurant (called something like 'Olive & Thiosmi') which when one is standing in the Kalamata marina is on the left of the Italian 'Francisco' place or whatever it's called.
The 'Olive & Thiosmi' place used to be in the centre of town but moved to the marina last year and we've always enjoyed it for special treats as it's the only restaurant we know in Kalamata which has a 'real' chef who also trained overseas and so their menu is quite 'bistro' and even their Greek dishes are 'different'!
Anyway, I decided that I was suitably traumatised enough by Athens to splash out on one of their REAL steaks! So I had a grilled steak which looked just like the one in that picture, but was even a bit thicker, with grilled mushrooms and taties! It has to qualify as THE best steak I've ever tasted in Greece, or even in any restaurant outside the USA! It was absoloutly, unbelievably, superb! I just can't recommend their steaks highly enough! I can't wait for the next trauma when I need to go again for solace! :mrgreen:
Anytime any of you want to show me how much you love and appreciate me, you can treat me there! :mrgreen:

Yiassas
Dedicated member

Post by Yiassas » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:13 pm

I deserved a really good meal to get over the trauma of Athens
KD, what are you doing wrong? Athens is no trauma, I go every few months, love it! Off again tomorrow until Sunday, then again in May!
Enjoy your steaks, I don't like them anyway!

KalamataDonkey
Dedicated member

Post by KalamataDonkey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Nothing wrong with Athens apart from it being noisy, smelly, cramped and expensive? I've had to spend 3 out of the last 4 weekends there! :(
Oh, and this Sunday morning we stepped out of our hotel (Titania on Panepistimiou) and were nearly knocked over in a stampede of around 12 'illegals' spilling their worldly goods and the various things they sell on the streets, while running from around 15 police trying to round them up! Only 2 or 3 were caught as they dodged traffic and brought it to a standstill as they tried to run across the busy road! Such a shame for the poor people! One feels for them, but then it's also an enourmous problem for Greece which needs to be dealt with, so I'm not sure that there's an amicable solution.
Anyway, I'm incredibly pleased to be home in Kalamata! :)

Social Media