Agios Nikolaos -Stoupa

Agios is definitely worth to have its own forum - here we go.
Buzzy

Agios Nikolaos -Stoupa

Post by Buzzy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:38 pm

What is the exact distance and walking time between these two places? Would it be possible to walk it late at night?

Lilian
Dedicated member

Re: Agios Nikolaos -Stoupa

Post by Lilian » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:49 pm

Well it takes us about 45mins to 1hr depending on how many times we stop to look at the views :)
Never tried it at night. Could be very dark on a moonless night.

Zissi
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Zissi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:53 am

Buzzy wrote:What is the exact distance and walking time between these two places? Would it be possible to walk it late at night?
From Stoupa beach by katerinas (old) supermarket to Ag Nik harbour is approx two & a quarter miles. Easily walkable at night, especially since the entire length has been concreted. A torch would be handy if it is cloudy. ;)

Buzzy

Post by Buzzy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Would it be better lit if we took the main road rather than the foot path or would that take longer.

Stella
Dedicated member

Post by Stella » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Probably take about the same amount of time but please don't even think about this option - there are no footpaths along the road and the traffic is fast and would be dangerous for a pedestrian at night, as the main road is not well lit at all.

Buzzy

Post by Buzzy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks Stella that was sensible advice. I had just heard something about snakes in the area and was worried about encountering them on a footpath. Don't think I'd be up for snake wars after a night in a taverna in Stoupa. Shame about there being so few local taxis. I'm sure they'd do a good trade ferrying people to and fro in the evenings.

Somerset Steve
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Somerset Steve » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:43 pm

Welcome Buzzy,

I wouldn't worry about snakes or walking the coastal footpath at night (with a torch). But be careful in high summer during the day, there is very little shade. I once got sunstroke walking the path mid morning in August (foolishly not wearing a hat) and had to sit in Ag Nik for several hours drinking water. ( what a chore ! ) :roll:

Buzzy

Post by Buzzy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:36 pm

Yes I can imagine that would be very uncomfortable.

There is a bus service I believe. I would hope to go to Stoupa on some evenings just for a bit of variety really. Does anyone know what the bars are like in Agios Nikolas? I was just hoping for somewhere pleasant to finish the evening maybe a little music playing. Nothing loud just relaxing and may be open until 1 or 2 am.

Jean B

Post by Jean B » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:47 pm

We walked back from Stoupa a couple of years ago after a night out. Probably about 11pm. It was fine. Never thought about snakes-more worried about a dog that lives close to the path! We had a torch and definitely needed it although sky was clear (spectacular stars). We did walk pretty fast however!
We also get a taxi back one night, but had to prebook and it was a bit earlier than we would have chosen.
Yes-places to drink in Ag Nik that fit the bill. As you say nice to have a bit of variety.
Will almost certainly walk back again this year, especially now as path is concreted.

Buzzy

Post by Buzzy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:30 pm

Yes I was concerned that the taxi would be a bit restrictive if they don't tend to run late at night but also concerned that when stuffed full of great food , Ouzo and Greek wine the walk home may feel like a marathon.

I believe there is a pool bar between Ag Nik and Stoupa. Is that open in the late evening for a mid way stop or is it a day time only bar?

Social Media