Removing the Webcam

Agios is definitely worth to have its own forum - here we go.
zorbas2
camBoard admin

Removing the Webcam

Post by zorbas2 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:26 am

Unfortunately Vicky - the wife of Kostas who is running the supermarket in AgNik - seems to have some kind of problem with the webcam on her balcony.

It was hard enough to get it installed there - mainly to get a date in order to install it - and caused due to technical problems sometimes I need to contact her. It seems that she don't like these disturbings...
For example I try now for more than one month to replace the camera with a better one (wide angle) - but I can't get a date. Yesterday now she told me: 'I never wanted this camera. Best would be just to remove it.'

So here is what I am considering:
Either there exists someone to convince her of the advantages a webcam on her balcony has for her and her families business and for her village. I tried my best, but there seems to be no real understanding...
Or the camera will be removed and a new host has to be found. I already spoke to Agi from the Neriides, but it seems that Agi's father is not happy with the idea to have a camera on his building...

So what I want to say is that I need help.
Help from people who know either Vicky or Agi.
People who would speak to them and convince them how good such a camera in AgNik would be for all of us and last but not least for the village.
Stephan Bartholomä
zorbas.de - stoupa.fr - sourmelina.com

MITZIGINGER

Re: Removing the Webcam

Post by MITZIGINGER » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:24 pm

It would be a terrible shame if there was no more Ag Nik Webcam. There many people in the U.K and no doubt in many other countries who regularly visit the Webcam on a daily basis as we do.. So come on you Agnik Webcam viewers HELP Stephan TO PERSUADE the property owners in Ag Nik to have a Webcam on their premises. It will surely help with the tourists visiting and staying in their property and buying goods etc fron the shops plus the Taverna`s and Bars. We have booked to stay in Ag Nik in June this year. Its a delightful little village and everyone is so friendly.

feathers
Addicted member ;-)

Post by feathers » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Stephan, is there anything else we can do, like posting messages in favour of the webcam on here for you to print out and show these people how valuable it is to us camboarders and as publicity for the village? Like a petition?

Oh, to be in Stoupa!

zorbas2
camBoard admin

Post by zorbas2 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:15 pm

Thanks feathers,

but I doubt that written material is of any sense for her... :evil:
Stephan Bartholomä

zorbas2
camBoard admin

Post by zorbas2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:57 am

Yesterday evening I had a phone call from a very nice lady who offered me help.
I believe that with that kind of help, there is a chance to leave the camera where it is and maybe even soon be able to install the new wide angle camera...
Fingers crossed!
Stephan Bartholomä

zorbas2
camBoard admin

Post by zorbas2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:00 am

zorbas2 wrote:Thanks feathers,

but I doubt that written material is of any sense for her... :evil:
But to tell the truth I thought this over. Maybe it is a good idea to start some kind of petition...
So lets collect arguments here!
Stephan Bartholomä

welshman

Post by welshman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:57 am

Our house is situated near to Kardimili but we have Greek friends in Kalamata who also own holiday property near Agios Nikolaos, we frequently visit with them in Ag Nik and we often use the Ag Nik web cam to see what is going on there, the view of the little harbour is particularly appealing.
We wish you all the luck in resolving this issue, to lose this wonderful view would be a sad loss for us that have to spend most of the year away from Greece, the web cams, all three of them, help us keep our sanity until our next visit to the the Mani.

Please tell this lady that having the web cam position on her property is really appreciated by us non-residents and that it gives us great pleasure to be able to view the harbour all the year round, where I am now it is minus 26 Centigrade, snow everywhere and it will not improve much before mid to late April, the harbour, views along with the views at Stoupa, offer us some regular relief/escape for a few moments from these conditions !

Zissi
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Zissi » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:10 pm

welshman wrote:Please tell this lady that having the web cam position on her property is really appreciated by us non-residents and that it gives us great pleasure to be able to view the harbour all the year round!
Seconded, it must be impossible for the local residents to appreciate what an emotional lift can be gained by us frequent visitors just by being able to view the webcam. I understand the reservations that some will be having about being watched, of course most of us here in the UK will deal with this daily, given the amount of CCTV we have here. As for the inconvenience of hosting the camera, only Vicky will know how troublesome this is, but let me assure her that her efforts are really appreciated by many of us here and we do always try to repay this kindness by frequenting the Supermarket & Taverna owned by the family, ahead of other establishments. Although I agree it would be better to express our gratitude on a one to one basis, so far this opportunity has not presented itself, but we remain grateful nonetheless, thank you.

Kolofarthos
Dedicated member

Post by Kolofarthos » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:55 am

I know people who have been on holidays all over greece to the island. They never though of the mainland. I showed them the Mani last year via the webcams, and you know what, they went to Agios Nikolaos so it is helping the local tourist industry.

How about organising a small monetary incentive from the local tavernas and shops in the village? Nothing convinces like getting a benefit from an activity..........

Adonis
Addicted member ;-)
Location: a wind and rain swept rock to the North of the Peloponnese

Post by Adonis » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:16 am

Kolofarthos wrote:How about organising a small monetary incentive from the local tavernas and shops in the village? Nothing convinces like getting a benefit from an activity..........
In my opinion for what its worth, but it is based on observing Greeks at close quarters for the past five years I doubt that any monetary inducement would make any difference in this situation, once a Greek has made his or her mind up about something it is unusual for them to change it, they seem to see it as loosing face.
Greeks decisions are seldom based on logic, more often jealousy or prejudice will motivate them, however having said that it is possible that if the shop owner could be persuaded that she would be held in higher regard by the community then she may change her mind but it is doubtful.
No, my advise would be to find an alternative site for the camera, preferably on a property that is not owned by a Greek, incidentally what reasons are being given for the requested removal of the camera?
Seemples

Social Media