Fish Market

Agios is definitely worth to have its own forum - here we go.

stu1

Fish Market

Post by stu1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:39 pm

Im new to this site but am visiting Agios Nikolaos this year in July and cant wait, have visited many parts of Greece/islands included, just wondering but when is best time to see the catches of the day and where? Im sure Il post a few more but gonna check the topice first to see if any of my questions are answered.
thanks in advance

MITZIGINGER

Re: Fish Market

Post by MITZIGINGER » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Hello Stu1
Welcome to Ag Nik. Not sure when the Fishermen return with their catch.However just to the left of the slipway there is a long metal table/counter where the fish are brought to sorted and weighed. If there are lots of cars parked in the area its a good chance the market is in progress. Of course you could always ask at the shop or a bar. Try Freda`s she is very good and speaks English. A good place to watch it from is the Limani Bar with chairs and tables by the wall just above the stall. Hoping this helps. Also have a wonderful time in July. We will be there from the 19th of June for a fortnight.

Buzzy

Post by Buzzy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:07 pm

I am not entirely sure but I think I remember reading somewhere that the fish market was at the harbour between 8 and 9 am every morning. Locals can correct this if I'm wrong.

stu1

Post by stu1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:04 pm

thanks both, always up bright an early anyhow, like exploring, roll on mid july

stu1

Post by stu1 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:24 pm

well i did get to see the lady cutting up a Tuna or 2, and the fish being sorted, didnt wanna do the touristy thing too much, you know, pics and all that, as didnt think it was right to do but just enjoyed watching to be honest.

Just on food for a mo, we were in Trachilla, sat having a nice cold Fanta, and a chap turns up in his 4x4, long silver half circle thing on back, yes we didnt know what it was, but the locals went to him, opens it up, bingo, ''Barbequed Pork'', he takes a chunk off and offers it to me good lady, and the locals bought some, absolutely brilliant, what can i say.....my whole experiences touched me, lit a torch so to speak...

Social Media