from kakamata

Agios is definitely worth to have its own forum - here we go.
Kolofarthos
Dedicated member

Re: from kakamata

Post by Kolofarthos » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:24 pm

We find oil of citronella helps with mozzie repelling. Spots dropped on the floor tend to discourage the little blighters. Other than that Autan has proved best for Mrs Kolo and me, but everyone is different.

Well remember my first drive from airport to Agios Nikolaos. The plane was a bit late and so it was in the dark. Not really a problem thought just took it easy and, as has been said, let faster drivers pass.

Best to stock up with a little water from a periptero whilst passing through Kalamata (or even some provisions from a supermarket if self catering (but get the fresh things in Agios Nikolaos/Stoupa), get a cheese pie from a bakers and enjoy the scenery on the drive with a pic-a-nic in the mountains or said lay bye.

Perhaps someone has a route instructions for getting through Kalamata (you'll not need any more} as I found that useful for my first drive?

the reiver
Dedicated member

Post by the reiver » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:38 pm

Left out of the airport, right at the lights, all the way to the lights past Lidl, turn right, after about 500k turn left over the river. At the stop sign go straight over and after about 3 sets of lights the signs will say East Beach. Follow the road and you will be facing the beach (lights). Turn left and just follow the road. When you get to the Messinia Bay Hotel you will see the sign for Stoupa. Make sure you indicate that you are bearing left to avoid any misunderstanding ! ;)

8-)
Reality is an illusion caused by alcohol deficiency. 8-)

the reiver
Dedicated member

Post by the reiver » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:36 pm

The answer to the mossie problem is easy :roll: , keep the windows shut !! :o If you need them open then fly screens are a must. At the end of the day, a net over the bed is only a fly screen indoors, surely better to keep the little blighters outside. (Not your bairns KD, I hasten to add ) ;)

Any old netting or fly screen fabric can be fitted with blu-tac or velcro, or drawing pins if your windows are wood, if you are not in a position to fit custom made screens.

8-)
Reality is an illusion caused by alcohol deficiency. 8-)

KalamataDonkey
Dedicated member

Post by KalamataDonkey » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:45 pm

The problem is worse than the midges at the but n' ben in the Highlands! :cry:

john m
Dedicated member

Post by john m » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 am

... A thing I have always pondered is why are the flyscreens on the windows always covered on the inside with flies trying to get out ? :D
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

wendy

thanks

Post by wendy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:10 pm

well thanks for all replies, husbands panicking now the words 'steep and winding' have been mentioned, I expect if we take our time and don't panic we will be fine.never heard of the basil solution to mozzies but anything is worth a try.

KalamataDonkey
Dedicated member

Post by KalamataDonkey » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:33 pm

bought a couple of basil plants today and also a lavender plant as we were told that's even better than basil for keeping mozzies away! So I'll let you know if it actually works! :?

Yiassas
Dedicated member

Post by Yiassas » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:09 am

Basil does help, but be aware there are several different plants, some more effective than others! I know the locals swear by it when I see the old guys with a sprig of it tucked behind their ear! :D

john m
Dedicated member

Post by john m » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:22 am

Dunno about the mossies, but basil is great in tomato soup ! :D
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

The Grocer
Dedicated member

Post by The Grocer » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:33 am

Thats why you don't get mossies in your tomato soup !

Social Media