just got back

Agios is definitely worth to have its own forum - here we go.

wendy

just got back

Post by wendy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:21 am

Hi,
Well just got back from first Stoupa region holiday and must say of all the places in Greece we have visited, we found this area a real treat, the drive from Kalamata was not too bad, took our time and enjoyed the scenery, (breathtaking) the accommodation was first class, (Mani Tower House) complete with own pool, stone built patio and a bath (this is a first for us in Greece, usually lucky to get a shower curtain!) the location just past Agios Nikolaos overlooking the sea and very peaceful was stunning,we went into the village a couple of times to eat and the rest of the time went into Stoupa, had some really nice meals, found the Katerina supermarket quite expensive, bread etc seems really expensive.
On the plane I purchased a mozzie ban wristband, cost me five euro and is supposed to work for up to six weeks, now I have never taken this band off even at bedtime, I am glad to say I have had no bites at all on the left hand side of my body..... however the right hand side and my back has around twenty five bites in all, all very swollen and extremely itchy, my husband also has them all over his legs, my daughter who is 21 and a long time user of echinacea tablets has had no bites at all!
We had a mixed bag with the weather Monday was hot, Tue Wed Thur warm but cloudy Friday hot and Sat Too ruddy hot, went up into the mountain villages and also visited the caves (almost ran over two large snakes and had to slow right down for two tortoises to cross the road) we also saw, something that looked alot like a polecat or ferret, has anyone else spotted these? ( I saw these after drinking wine and Amstel but husband also saw them and he doesn't drink).
Anyway hope to go back to area again before long a really relaxing holiday.

the reiver
Dedicated member

Re: just got back

Post by the reiver » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:32 am

423px-Steinmarder_01.jpg

It's called a beech marten (or stone marten from where it leaves its calling card), and is the animal that chews away at our cars for a pastime. Hopefully I will be having a sonic device fitted soon which should solve the problem.

8-)

ps Glad you enjoyed you visit, shame about the mossies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reality is an illusion caused by alcohol deficiency. 8-)

Kolofarthos
Dedicated member

Post by Kolofarthos » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:51 am

Great that you enjoyed it Wendy.
...echinacea tablets has had no bites at all
is one to remember now!

geckophile
Dedicated member

Post by geckophile » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:41 pm

echinacea tablets has had no bites at all
Might not be anything to do with the echinacea - mozzies don't like biting me either and I use nothing to repel them - I seem to be just naturally repellant. Or so my OH says..... :x :lol:

I suppose if you do get bitten a lot though (LIKE my OH) anything is worth a try!
To do is to be. – Aristotle
To be is to do. – Jean Paul Sartre
To be or not to be. - William Shakespeare
Do be do be do. – Frank Sinatra

libran

Post by libran » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Is the Beech Marten the same as the Pine Marten ?

the reiver
Dedicated member

Post by the reiver » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:55 pm

A close cousin. It is the most common marten in mainland Europe, but doesn't seem to have got through immigration into the UK !

Wikipedia (where I got the pic) will tell you more.

8-)
Reality is an illusion caused by alcohol deficiency. 8-)

aloni
Dedicated member

Post by aloni » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:17 pm

Glad you enjoyed your first visit Wendy! I bought one of those wrist bands on the TC flight out on May and slept with it on my wrist every night. Not sure whether it worked but I didn't get bitten (although I don't normally get too badly attacked my mozzies anyway). I wonder if you can get these bands in the shops here???... wouldn't mind taking one with me in August.
We saw lots of tortoises and snakes too and had a visit from those dastardly goats who came and ate all out plants... again! We found a family of wild cats (a mother and two very cute kittens) had taken residence on our terrace - I hope they manage to catch enough food to survive!

ajb

Post by ajb » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:39 pm

Mozzie bands available from Aldi, 2.99 a pair

aloni
Dedicated member

Post by aloni » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks for that ajb - cheaper than the fiver each on TC flight!

wendy

Post by wendy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi,
The mozzie bands from aldi might be worth a try, one on each wrist might be best or one on wrist and one on ankle, somebody at work said if you take garlic tablets for one month (one a day) that works for her!
The cats in Ag Nik were fed well while we were there because I can't resist them, we had a walk up a road right at the far end of the harbour where if you follow it round brings you to the small lighthouse thing, there was an empty building with no windows and a poor tom cat crouched on the sill, his coat was filthy and he looked a very sorry sight, I went back to the little supermarket on the end and got two small packs of food, put it on the sill and he ate the lot. That's the only problem with Greece the animals are treated very poorly, when we got back to Kalamata and sat outside the airport there was a poor dog running about, it was really hot and his tongue was hanging out he was obviously looking for food he was very thin, poor thing.
Back in St Nik, does anyone think same as me that it is such a shame that right on the harbour front there are some lovely old buildings standing emty they would make stunning places for a b&b or gift shops or even done up for me to live in....then again if you open too many shops etc would the place lose it's charm?

Social Media