Tap water

Agios is definitely worth to have its own forum - here we go.
Buzzy

Tap water

Post by Buzzy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:20 pm

is the tap water ok to drink in Ag Nik? it tastes fine.

aloni
Dedicated member

Re: Tap water

Post by aloni » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:31 pm

I've always been told that you can drink tap water in Greece but I avoid drinking it - it often comes through the tap quite muddy. I brush my teeth with tap water but use the local spring water (from the red taps) to make tea/cook etc. and drink bottled water.

Adonis
Addicted member ;-)
Location: a wind and rain swept rock to the North of the Peloponnese

Post by Adonis » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:04 pm

unless you enjoy having an upset tummy don't touch it or drink it :)
Seemples

The Grocer
Dedicated member

Post by The Grocer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:38 am

We have no problem with drinking the water in our village (Messini side).

Adonis
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Adonis » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:24 am

The Grocer wrote:We have no problem with drinking the water in our village (Messini side).
I hope that you at least filter it, its far better to err on the safe side and just drink bottled water, the whole water system throughout Greece is positively unsanitary particularly with regard to the lack of any anti siphon safeguards.
Last edited by Adonis on Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seemples

geckophile
Dedicated member

Post by geckophile » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:20 am

I don't know how relevant this is, but we live in a mountain village near Kalamata and have no problem drinking our tap water, unfiltered. In fact it's delicious and a darned sight better than our local Severn Trent stuff in the UK!

Our friend who is a manager at a local water and sewerage authority assures us it is perfectly safe. However, we've yet to be there during the summer water shortages and I understand there can be some problems then with purity.
To do is to be. – Aristotle
To be is to do. – Jean Paul Sartre
To be or not to be. - William Shakespeare
Do be do be do. – Frank Sinatra

MITZIGINGER

Post by MITZIGINGER » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:41 pm

We have recently returned from Ag Nik and always used the standpipe at the entrance to the site and no problems. The rep from T.C even suggested that we could use it. However don`t fill your bottles in the afternoon the water is then hot enough to do your laundry in. So try in the morning before you go out.

Adonis
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Adonis » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:16 pm

But you see the whole problem is that the water is piped above ground in black plastic tubing and in the heat of the summer its an ideal breading ground for any amount of bacteria, and this coupled to the method used to tee off the main supply without any thought being given to back filtration or siphoning effect it is positively fraught with danger, health and safety in the UK would have a field day and for once I am inclined to support them.
Drink bottled water!! 8-)
Seemples

aloni
Dedicated member

Post by aloni » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:25 am

I was quite ill after drinking tap water three years ago and haven't drunk it since. I always fill up bottles from the local standpipes at Ag Nik, Stoupa, Thalames and have never had a problem with that.

Adonis
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Adonis » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:49 pm

If you guys need any further convincing that the tap water is not safe to drink look at this pic taken this morning, what you see is a roadside metered connection from the main supply line, there is a course gauze filter on the intake side that filters out some but not all of the impurities, if you look closely you will see a brown jelly like substance in the filter, this substance gradually builds up over the course of a few days until the filter is completely blocked necessitating the uncoupling of the meter and clearing of the gauze.
And this friends is why my family never drink the tap water, please take my advise and do likewise.
Seemples

Social Media