airport transfer by public transportation

The board for topics regarding the journey: Flights, Ferries, Car rentals, Transfers, Busses and other transportation.

zorbas2
camBoard admin

airport transfer by public transportation

Post by zorbas2 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:19 am

timmillea wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:36 pm
When I travel alone, I usually use the bus - around €7 from the airport via Kalamata to Stoupa.
It would be great, if you could publish the schedule for the busses from the airport to Kalamata and the connections to Stoupa here. Thank You!
Stephan Bartholomä
zorbas.de - stoupa.fr - sourmelina.com

Stella
Dedicated member

Re: airport transfer by public transportation

Post by Stella » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Although buses run during the week fairly frequently past the airport into Kalamata, problem is that there are not frequent buses from Kalamata to Stoupa. If you can connect with the 1pm from Kalamata Monday to Saturday only, fine, otherwise you would be waiting for the 6 pm which doesn't arrive in Stoupa until around 7.15 pm, making it a very long day. My own feeling is that a pre-booked taxi is infinitely preferable.

timmillea

Re: airport transfer by public transportation

Post by timmillea » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:02 am

Yes, the key is to land at Kalamata airport in reasonable time to catch either the 1pm or 6pm bus to Stoupa. The opposite direction is even easier with either the 'early morning' bus or the '10 o'clock' bus.

Between Kalamata airport and Kalamata bus station, busses pass around every 30 minutes. The bus stop at the airport is on the road just outside it - around 50m walk from the arrivals door. The fare between the airport and Kalamata bus station is around €1.70.

One does not book a flight then wonder how to complete the journey! Travel is holistic - every element must be considered together a priori. One chooses the best overall combination. Flights that do not arrive or depart at good times for the busses must be considered in the light of the cost of private car transfers to accommodate them.

Besides, I have been travelling on Greek busses for over 40 years. They are a national institution and part of my enjoyment of Greece. My stay in Greece starts the moment I step on the bus outside the airport and ends in the same place when I step off it.

If the in-bound flight is late, then there is always a line of eager public taxis there as contingency.

I have never known a bus miss, though lateness is a way of life one becomes accustomed to. Patience is a 'Zen discipline'. Build-in redundancy on the return journey! Having said that, I once spent 3 days waiting for a homeward flight when the air traffic controllers at Athens were on strike.

Stephan, remember I wrote the guide on 'how to visit Ikea in Athens and transport an entire kitchen back to Stoupa by bus'. I love Greek busses!
Tim.
Machine learning, artificial evolution, optimisation.

Social Media