Easyjet New Airport Check-In

The board for topics regarding the journey: Flights, Ferries, Car rentals, Transfers, Busses and other transportation.

Magpie
Addicted member ;-)

Easyjet New Airport Check-In

Post by Magpie » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:12 pm

Just returned from Gatwick and Easyjet have a New Check-In procedure. Instead of queuing and seeing the staff at the Desk you now take your Boarding Pass to an automated touch screen luggage drop-off. Luckily we were just on the 20 kilo limit so had no problems.
You just place your case on the luggage conveyor - place your Boarding Pass under the Touch Screen and follow the instructions and the system automatically prints your Luggage label that you then attach to the case and hey presto your case then disappears into the bowels of Gatwick Airport.
So if you are over the weight limit a nice young lady directs you to the desk for excess payment. They are really being quite strict at the Departure Loung/Gate with handbags having to be put in any other hand luggage.
The system worked fine for us as there were only a few Easyjet flights on Wednesday afternoon but maybe a different story during peak holiday times.

Magpie

catkin

Re: Easyjet New Airport Check-In

Post by catkin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:06 pm

Thanks Magpie, that's very useful information :-)

timmillea

Post by timmillea » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:11 am

I used one of these for the first time New York recently. It will be easier the second time! I just wish there was some standardisation across the airlines as each is different.

Talking of which, remember that the easyJet hand luggage allowance is very generous at 56 x 45 x 25 cm. At 63 litres this is 43 % more volume than Thomas Cook or RyanAir. There is also no weight limit compared to the measly 6kg on Thomas Cook. Taken together, the hand luggage allowance may be enough for many on a two week holiday in Stoupa and save on hold luggage costs and carousel waiting time both ways.

Tim.

ADI

Post by ADI » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:29 am

Watch Easyjet with handluggage - on a recent trip they insisted that I check in my hand luggage as the cabin was full !!! (if you read the small print, they can do it.)

Zissi
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Zissi » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:39 am

ADI wrote:Watch Easyjet with handluggage - on a recent trip they insisted that I check in my hand luggage as the cabin was full !!! (if you read the small print, they can do it.)
That's only on the 'standard maximum' cabin baggage 56 x 45 x 25cm (including handles and wheels). If your cabin bag meets their 'guaranteed size' 50 x 40 x 20cm (including handles and wheels) it will always travel in the cabin with you as it is supposed to fit under the seat.

timmillea

Post by timmillea » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:56 am

ADI wrote:Watch Easyjet with handluggage - on a recent trip they insisted that I check in my hand luggage as the cabin was full !!! (if you read the small print, they can do it.)
With the 'up front' and extra legroom seats, the larger size is guaranteed to remain in the cabin. Also, if you are sitting elsewhere and they do take the larger size hand luggage off you to put in the hold, there is no charge.

The easyJet hand luggage allowance is therefore the larger of the two, with no weight limit, but the larger size bags may be put in the hold on a busy flight when in a cheap seat!

Tim.

Magpie
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Magpie » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:07 pm

ADI

With the new system as you no longer check-in at the desk so there is no one to tell you about hand luggage however, as already stated they are quite strict at the lounge/gate.

Magpie

ADI

Post by ADI » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:46 pm

I had already checked in the wife's hand luggage into the hold at the check in desk. I was stopped as I was just about to board the aircraft. It was the smaller size, but they would not budge, they said too many large hand luggages had already gone on board.

Thinking about it, it was a Greece bound flight, and we all know the Greek's will try and take everything,including the kitchen sink as their hand luggage ;-)

The Grocer
Dedicated member

Post by The Grocer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:00 pm

Interesting ADI....as from their web site.....:-

Option 1: ONE piece of cabin baggage no bigger than 50 x 40 x 20cm including handles and wheels. Guaranteed to always travel with you in the cabin.

Social Media