car hire

The board for topics regarding the journey: Flights, Ferries, Car rentals, Transfers, Busses and other transportation.

andrea
Addicted member ;-)

car hire

Post by andrea » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:45 pm

hi ... I ask this year .....coming over end of March for Easter holidays . has anyone got recomendations for good cheap carhire from Athens. Last year they tried to get us to pay insurance for scratches etc at the airport, (we thought we were covered) didnt pay but was a concern...

thanks

Zissi
Addicted member ;-)

Re: car hire

Post by Zissi » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:22 pm

I can thoroughly recommend Athens Car Rental http://www.athens-carrental.com/athens- ... ntact.html
Skype (or email) them to get a competitive quote, we've used them 3 times and have been very pleased every time. It's a 'meet and greet' service with the car so you don't have to get bussed to a depot nor do you have to go through the trauma that can be queuing at a rental desk in the airport. They may not be the cheapest but I think they are possible the best value!
Please also see here:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic- ... reece.html

Arnaki

Post by Arnaki » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:21 am

Another car hire question -

I am visiting Messinia/Laconia in July. We haven't been to the area for several years, hence my long silence.

I'm looking for car hire, and can find plenty of options, including links from this site, but none seems to say the engine size. We only need a small car, for two of us and one suitcase, but we don't want it under-powered getting over the Taygetos! The cost could be in indicator, but could just be the difference between one company and another. The model isn't much help, as for example a Corsa, Polo or Fiesta could come with a range of engine size. Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Arnaki

sweep

Post by sweep » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:01 am

Try AutoUnion - Athens. We have used them for years and found them to be competitive. Web site gives engine sizes etc.
Shuttle bus from airport is 5 mins to their depot. Good English spoken! Very helpful! :D

Ron 1

Post by Ron 1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:11 pm

The problem is that engine sizes don't really tell you the whole story although it can help. Power output may be a better indicator now-a-days. There are many small engines that are quite powerful and efficient now. I say this because we had a Dacia Stepway SUV style car from Napoleon Car Rentals in Stoupa last year. It only has a 900cc 3 cylinder turbo charged engine but it was very impressive. Driving from Kalamata to Stoupa and Stoupa down to Areopolis/Gythion with three adults was no problem whatsoever.

Arnaki

Post by Arnaki » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanks, Ron. You have a good point. I'm obviously a bit old fashioned! I'll just book something of an appropriate size/cost, and hope for the best. We will be travelling around for two weeks, so want to be able to have confidence in the car. We had a very scary moment on holiday once when we started rolling back down a steep hill. It turned out that the car needed a good service, so wasn't firing on all cylinders (literally).

Arnaki

Kolofarthos
Dedicated member

Post by Kolofarthos » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:31 pm

Haven't been on here for a while but would also recommend ACR in Athens. Any queries about the car just email them.
Also had good service going through Atlas as a broker but most people might think direct contact is best but not necessarily the cheapest.....

Social Media