Disabled access Kalamata Airport

The board for topics regarding the journey: Flights, Ferries, Car rentals, Transfers, Busses and other transportation.

Arnaki

Disabled access Kalamata Airport

Post by Arnaki » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:49 pm

I haven't been to Kalamata airport for several years. I know there has been an increase in the number of flights going there. So it is still two gates (both in the same room) and a short walk to the steps to the plane, or is there now a bus to take you to the plane? Has the airport building expanded?

I just trying to gather some information to judge if I need wheelchair assistance.

I'll report here when I come back with any access information I gather which might be useful to other disabled travellers.

Many thanks

Arnaki

zorbas2
camBoard admin

Re: Disabled access Kalamata Airport

Post by zorbas2 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:55 pm

It is still as it was. Two gates in the same room, a short walk to the plane and no expanded building.
Stephan Bartholomä
zorbas.de - stoupa.fr - sourmelina.com

Hagar

Post by Hagar » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi.
Last year we took my wheelchair bound mum through the airport. Disembarked via lift brought out to plane and transported to door. Same on return. The staff were brilliant throughout. Hopefully we will repeat this year.

Arnaki

Post by Arnaki » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:26 pm

Thanks for your replies. I am pleased to hear there is an ambilift now, as I have heard tales of people being lifted up the steps to the plane at Kalamata in the past. At least that has changed.

We've visited Crete a few times over the past few years. Heraklion Airport is big, busy and chaotic. I was taken to the wrong Thomas Cook plane on the ambilift and nearly went to Gatwick. It was only when I checked with the cabin crew that I discovered the mistake. Fortunately the lift had not left, and the Gatwick passengers on the lift weren't taken to Manchester either.

I expect we have all experienced occasional chaos at Kalamata, but Heraklion seems to be in a permanent state of confusion.

Arnaki

Social Media