first trip

Agios is definitely worth to have its own forum - here we go.
wendy

first trip

Post by wendy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi I am a new member, i have a week booked in Agios Nikolaos from June 12th What kind of weather can I expect? can anyone giva any tips on where to eat and places to visit? we will be having a car for the week.
Thanks

Sunseeker

Re: first trip

Post by Sunseeker » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:26 pm

The weather should be pretty settled. Certainly the sea will be warm enough for swimming - be aware of the springs in the sea at the main Stoupa and Kalogria beaches - very refreshing when you swin through them.
There's a good selection of restaurants in Ag Nic if you don't want to drive of an evening, rather than recommend any I'd say look at the menu, look at how busy they are and take it from there. You won't be disappointed. Stoupa also had a good selection - half the fun of a holiday is finding your favourite restaurant. Fish is good but expensive so make sure you check the price before you commit yourself.
Get up into the hills with your car, there are some good local tavernas and cafes in Neo Chorio, Mylia, Platsa, Thalames and furher afield. Gythio is the place for octopus - about 90 minutes South from Ag Nic on very good roads. Get yourself a good map from on of the shops (the reddish brown cover one is good), and go out there and don't worry about getting lost!
Have a fantastic time - I'm sure like most of us you'll be hooked! :)

kismet

Post by kismet » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:54 pm

I am going to Ag Nik for the first time at end of May and can't wait. How did you go about hiring your car? Did you get it locally and how much has it cost? The surrounding area sounds great and I would like to get up to Olympia.
Am really looking forward to the fish too!

wendy

Post by wendy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:35 pm

Hi, Just search on travelsupermarket or google car hire Stoupa, we only need a small car, I think it's about £122 for the week including insurance, where we are staying I think we will need a car, we like to travel around and see the area anyway.
Are you in a hotel or apartments? Have you been to mainland Greece before? been to Parga three times and loved it but really looking forward to this trip.

Kolofarthos
Dedicated member

Post by Kolofarthos » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 am

see comments on this board for car hire as to the best companies to use from experienced contributors - a quick search will reveal lots of comments.

Try booking through this web site as it will give some income to the Zorbas who host the board. I'm sure they will be helpfull - http://www.zorbas.de/english/carrentals.php

Kolofarthos
Dedicated member

Post by Kolofarthos » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:11 am

(commission in a plain envelope please Stephan...)

Sunseeker

Post by Sunseeker » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:05 am

If you're only there for a week I think you'd probably need a car for just three days.
That would give you time to plan a couple of trips - one south, the Mani circuit with a side trip to Gythio and then a trip north, perhaps onto the other peninsula to explore the castles there or the beaches and lagoon just north of Gialova. The other day could be spent up in the hills behind Stoupa and up the coast to Kardamili. 8-)
If you hire for a week there is always the feeling that you have to be using the car, and that isn't why you go on holiday!
The rest of the time you could just chill on the local beaches or take a walk along the coast path to Stoupa and back.
Have a great holiday, we'll be there in a few weeks, driving from Athens.

aloni
Dedicated member

Post by aloni » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:42 pm

kismet wrote:Am really looking forward to the fish too!
Sadly fish seem few and far between in Greece. Fresh fish is very expensive but the best place to eat it is in Takis fish taverna in Limeni (a 40 minute drive south of Ag Nik). It is a beautiful little village and the taverna is right on the water's edge. It's famous for it's great fish - and for it's celebrity customers (apparently Onassis used to stop by for a bite to eat). Client's often turn up by boat and we've spotted turtles swimming there catching the fishy leftovers that the owners throw into the sea. It can be expensive if you are partial to a nice bit of fish but it doesn't have to be - they also do a fantastic seafood spaghetti and some great calamaria. Well worth a visit if you fancy a real treat - and a good stop-off if you're exploring the mani!

KalamataDonkey
Dedicated member

Post by KalamataDonkey » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:49 pm

By far the cheapest fresh fish we have found anywhere in the Peloponnese is at the Kalamata Sailing Club on the Navarinou street seafront inside the car park, opposite the Pharae Palace hotel. Because it's the sailing club building, people often don't realise that the restaurant is open to everybody and is really excellent! You will be taken into the kitchen to see what they have in the way of fresh seafood and can choose the ones which smile at you if you like! But the per kilo price for fish is always far less than other places and the quality is always excellent!

Bandit
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Bandit » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:31 pm

I havent tried that on yet myself K.D. and I love fresh fish.. :roll:
But it doesnt come any Fresher or cheaper as catching your own!! and now Im back in the water I have been givng the tuna a hammering, BBQ, Baked, or Fried.....
I should have some more this weekend.....Neptune Willing.... :lol:
Regards,
Bandit. :twisted:
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”

Social Media