Location of Beach

Agios is definitely worth to have its own forum - here we go.
Buzzy

Location of Beach

Post by Buzzy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:07 pm

Looking at the webcam I can see an area of hard ground beyond it where there are cars parked. Is the beach further along that main road and how much further than this point is it to walk?

Zissi
Addicted member ;-)

Re: Location of Beach

Post by Zissi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:35 pm

Buzzy wrote:Looking at the webcam I can see an area of hard ground beyond it where there are cars parked. Is the beach further along that main road and how much further than this point is it to walk?
If you mean Pantazi beach, which is really the nearest proper beach, then yes, it's just over 1/2 a mile further up the coast road from the 'car park' that you are looking at. There is a taverna/bar there and 'public toilets'. Sometimes, in season, there was a 'beach bus' that ran between Pantazi and Ag Nik, to Stoupa and beyond at very reasonable timings and rates but I'm not too sure if that scheme will be resurrected this year.

ih650

Post by ih650 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Which begs the question why you are thinking of going to AgNik rather than Stoupa. There is no beach, therefore it is quieter, may be a plus point depending on your requirements. I see from your other posts that you are doing the research. We have never stayed or eaten in AgNik on our several Stoupa visits so I have no comments to make from experience. However, on the couple of occasions we have driven past the seaweed and the salt/mud flats to get to the beach and beyond my wife has commented that she would have been horrified to have been dropped off at AgNik as opposed to Stoupa.
For what its worth we've holidayed on fifteen different greek islands and a couple spots on the mainland before deciding with the help of our sixteen year old beach reveller that Stoupa ticks all our current boxes. AgNik has its fans and I'm sure they will speak on its behalf. I'm not looking for an argument but I think you would need specific reasons for staying at AgNik rather than Stoupa.
Sorry thats all a bit garbled.

Regards,

40mandrax
Addicted member ;-)

Post by 40mandrax » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:12 pm

I love Ag. Nik. so much so we bougHt a house only 2-3klms away. It is a lovely traditional harbour village away from the madding crowd!
Some fantastic tavernas and even better local folk who are so welcoming.
Stoupa for me is fantastic out of season empty beaches and taverna owners have far more time for you but in summer drives me mad!
Ag. Nik. has Pantazi beach which is so much more what Ilook for, local people and lots of different nationalalities and the campers, but then maybe Im a bit of a hippy at heart.
Stoupa will offer you far more variety but for me Ag. Nik wins every time.
Its down to personal choice at the end of the day so wherever you go enjoy.

kismet

Post by kismet » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:18 pm

Oh boy I am so glad of this last response. I have recently booked for Ag Nik and have been looking forward to it. The way the previous person has written about it has made me quite depressed but now I feel; all is not lost. Of course it is down to personal taste and as long as the surroundings are pretty , the water clean, the tavernas friendly and the wine flowing , I'm in!

Zissi
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Zissi » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 pm

kismet wrote:Oh boy I am so glad of this last response. I have recently booked for Ag Nik and have been looking forward to it. The way the previous person has written about it has made me quite depressed but now I feel; all is not lost. Of course it is down to personal taste and as long as the surroundings are pretty , the water clean, the tavernas friendly and the wine flowing , I'm in!
Do not be put off, Ag Nik is not as 'cosmopolitan' as Stoupa but has a charm and friendlyness of it's own. There are places to swim without beach access if you don't wish to 'travel' to Pantazi, Vesuvious Taverna* has a diving board with seating area and next door have sunbeds. There are no
ih650 wrote:salt/mud flats ,
and the tavernas are fine and varied. It is different from Stoupa but highly recommended.
(*They also (imho) do a really, really nice pizza)

aloni
Dedicated member

Post by aloni » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:49 am

I have to defend Ag Nic too... it is a peaceful, pretty village and Pantazi beach is lovely, nowhere near as crowded as the beaches in Stoupa. Both Stoupa and Ag Nic have very different things to offer - Stoupa being a tourist resort and Ag Nic being a working Greek village. If you want a relaxing, away-from-it-all holiday then Ag Nic is the place for you.

I love Stoupa - but avoid it in July/August... it gets too crowded and its lovely beaches get so busy that you need to be on the beach by 9-10am each morning if you want to get a decent place where you can actually see the sea.

It really depends what you want from a holiday - one person's idyll is another's nightmare! Personally I like both for different reasons - but Ag Nic wins for me! I would be very happy to be "dropped off" there!

geckophile
Dedicated member

Post by geckophile » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:17 pm

However, on the couple of occasions we have driven past the seaweed and the salt/mud flats to get to the beach and beyond my wife has commented that she would have been horrified to have been dropped off at AgNik as opposed to Stoupa.
I can't remember any seaweed and salt/mudflats, but maybe I just didn't notice them! Like Aloni, I also like Stoupa and Ag Nik for different reasons. Stoupa is far more cosmopolitan, whereas Ag Nik is quieter and more traditional. We have had some wonderful, atmospheric meals along the harbour, and I actually PREFER Pantazi beach because it's so natural, and there are (when we go) far less people on it. I am not a lover of wall-to-wall sunbed type beaches with trendy music bars/cocktails on the beach etc, so both Stoupa and Ag Nik suit me fine in that respect. I happen to think Ag Nik is lovely!
To do is to be. – Aristotle
To be is to do. – Jean Paul Sartre
To be or not to be. - William Shakespeare
Do be do be do. – Frank Sinatra

Jean B

Post by Jean B » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:01 pm

We stayed in Stoupa once-but are going back for our third holiday in Ag Nik this year (hurrah!). The beach at Pantazi isn't that great, but it's ok ie there is some seaweed washed up, and I don't remember there being sunbeds, but it's clean enough and the water is fine, plus there's a taverna. It certainly wouldn't (and doesn't) put me off staying in Ag Nik rather than Stoupa. However we do walk to Stoupa quite a lot to go to the beach (not an ordeal as it's a lovely walk), and we tend to stay at the Stoupa end of Ag Nik
From memory, it's probably about a 20-30 minute walk to Pantazi from the harbour but the road is quiet.
I prefer the village life in Ag Nik-quiet and stressfree but with plenty tavernas to entertain you for a week or two. And the option of nipping into Stoupa for the day or the evning if you want a bit more life!

Buzzy

Post by Buzzy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks for your replies. We got a good deal at the Litsa apartments and that was one of the reasons for choosing Ag Nik. We also wanted a more traditional village but with the options for some late nights spent in the bar having a quiet drink. Rest, relaxation and good food and wine are the main things for us. I think we will go in to Stoupa but prefer to actually stay in the quieter resort. We do have a pool with the Litsa apartments but may use a mixture of beach and pool.

Social Media