"Tales from Messinia"

Discuss here topics regarding the Messinian Peninsula: Messini, Velika, Petalidi, Chrani, Koroni, Finikounda, Methoni, Pylos, Gargaliani and all the other marvelous villages inbetween...
Diane

Re: "Tales from Messinia"

Post by Diane » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:35 am

Hi Guys

As soon as I've managed to book somewhere I'll let you know and I'll post a report on our return. Looking at various websites there does appear to be lots of property in the area but I think it's very much a holiday area and luckily it's mostly small low rise apartments. We love the look of it because of all those trees and the gorgeous beaches and the fact that no British tour operators go there :) We will keep away from Neos Marmaris on the opposite side though as it has some huge hotels and we hate anything like that.
Just to add that Easyjet are now flying to Thessalonika - we'd already booked with BA before they decided to add it as a new route but luckily there's not much difference in the price.

Diane
PS Sorry about hijacking your thread John I guess this should be in the rest of Greece forum :oops:

john m
Dedicated member

Post by john m » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:32 pm

No Problem Diane - the drift is at least still within Greece & "Tales fom Halkidiki" are fine as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

Maniatisa

Post by Maniatisa » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:40 am

Hello John

Your tales from Messinia was most informative and further enlightened me about cultural nuances.

English culture is one of requirement for privacy. An inhibited and reserved nature.

Greeks in villages, in contrast, are outgoing, gregarious, friendly and participate more in each other's lives in small villages. You get the 'third-degree' about your life and background and you gain theirs, just like in parts of England (dialect regions like Nottingham and the north come to mind). Privacy - what privacy? You go round - they come round - their relatives visit - a friend comes up - all boisterous speech - everyone talking at once. It's great!

My wanderings all over the southern Peloponnese (my background is dual cultured Mani Greek and English) is fascinating between the cultural differences of the local Greeks (of course, I am one) and English, Germans, French, Dutch and Swiss. American Greeks and Cypriot Greeks add to my fascination as well as Albanians.

My aim is to offer ex pats local orientation in Greek culture and your posting was most informative and confirmed my observations over a life-time of visiting Greece and watching the English during my sojourns in many countries in global living and residing among the local communities.

Please see my website at:

http://www.anastasias-koroni-greece.co.uk

Vive La Difference! Or It wouldn't do if we were all the same.
Good old Marcel Proust said that the Voyage of Discovery is not in seeking new landscapes, but in seeing with new eyes. This is going to be most interesting now early retirement beckons me to my primary hobby - people watching.
Ya sas

happygirl

Post by happygirl » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:50 pm

Hi John,
Glad you are roasty toasty now! You can't beat a logburner.
We brought ours from England with us. My husband bought it back in the 1970s & it was £500 then. Some friends here have bought one from Kalamata that was 1500 Euros & the same again for flue & fitting, which seemed a lot until you take into account £500 in the '70s was mega bucks! Our friends one here is super. Very modern, looks like a cross between a tv & microwave & best of all very effective.
Ours doesn't keep us as toasty as it did in the UK, though. I guess it's the way these places are built.

The walls are insulated, but the concrete beams are not. I notice a lot of houses under construction now have the beams insulated also & the ceilings. This is our first Winter here & it's surprising how chilly it can feel in the evening. We are considering insulating all our ceilings, as most heat just goes out to patio areas above.
This is something that needs consideration if you are having a house built. We have friends whose house was built by a Swede, they know how to insulate!
We also have oil central heating, but boy is that expensive to run.

We were worried about letting our removal helpers bring it up as they seemed to bang & scratch everything in their haste. After a few weeks my husband decided to bring it up on his own. It's impossible to lift & he isn't superman (he's 66)!
What he did was to lay half of his set of wooden ladders up to the first landing ( 8 steps), made sure the bottom couldn't slip, manuevered the cast iron stove onto the ladder & 'walked ' it up 2 or 3 inches at a time. When he reached the last step he let the ladder tip up, which left the stove standing on the top of the ladder on the landing. He maneuvered it across the landing after removing the ladder & repeated the same process up to the first floor. From there he put it on a sack truck.

He worked this out because he knows how difficult it can be with 2 or 3 people on the stairs at the same time.

The evenings get chilly but it is still lovely when you get out & get moving in the garden. Short sleeve tee shirt today planting oleanders!
Will have to find your lakes soon John as we are not that far away.
Also visited the golf course around the same time as you. Went to the other side of it too, where there was a green being watered & a little tractor thing was maintaining them. We watched them replanting mature olive trees & were amazed at how small a root ball they had!
We have been told new date for completion is 2009. If it's anything like the builders here, that means 2010 or........
Thanks for your useful, interesting & helpful input John.

john m
Dedicated member

Post by john m » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Had a bit of time to kill & so had a thought to look back a way - Blimey, amazed that this thread is still on the board, thought it would be long gone by now. All that I wrote seems so long ago, but am amazing trip never the less in the meantime ! :D
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

Social Media