Returning back again

General topics regarding Stoupa and its surroundings

foxflyer

Returning back again

Post by foxflyer » Wed May 16, 2018 6:52 pm

It’s been about 20 years since we first came to Stoupa and the area of the Mani and Messinia and we loved it for the real feel of the old Greece that seems to have gone from many other parts of Greece. They call it progress. It’s been about 4 years since our last visit to Stoupa so just booked a week to see how things may have changed. Read a lot about the kalogria beach fiasco and that had put us of a little but I though “hey ho, lets go”. Over the time I have watched the webcams to see how things have changed a bit so we are aware of some changes.
We always loved the traditional real flavours of the food in this area and real traditional service to go with it. Has this changed at all?
I would welcome any suggestions on current decent eateries, which still offer the old fashioned Greek hospitality and service with real food. We don’t do posh food, just flavour.
Is Melissa grill still open.

zorbas2
camBoard admin

Re: Returning back again

Post by zorbas2 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Have a good time!
However, I am pretty curious to read your résumé after your visit....
Stephan Bartholomä
zorbas.de - stoupa.fr - sourmelina.com

Fina
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Fina » Thu May 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi Foxflyer,

I don't think Stoupa has changed that much since your last visit. Melisas is still open, one of our favourites, Liastres is very good. Yianni at the Mango has expanded over the last couple of years. You can have a bar snack in the bar area or a more substantial meal in the taverna which is very good. Pritzipas on Kalogria is also good for lunchtimes (closed of an evening after 7). Depends when you are going we had a week in May last year and Kalogria beach was fine. Had a couple of weeks in September and it was too crowded for us.

Everyone has different tastes, Liastres our favourite some people don't like.... Try them out and let us know what you think.

Fina

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu May 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Dionisos still one of our favourites. For something much more basic (traditional?) try Nostimies in Ag Nik...

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu May 17, 2018 4:07 pm

Do let's us know your thoughts...

foxflyer

Post by foxflyer » Thu May 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Thanks Paul and we have used Dionysis many times and agree it’s nice good food, I love their liver with a Masala sauce, not traditional but it’s wonderful. As for Nostimies we will certainly go and try that as that sounds like our sort of place. And thanks and thank you Fina for your suggestions, we have used Pritzipas for lunch and love the fresh daily specials, omg so good. Liastres we have never done so that’s another on the list and nice to know that Melissa Grill is open again, we used that some years ago and loved the real true basic grill and a beer and the end of evening dance was memorable, I bet they don’t do that now. We also like Perasma and of course To Steki for a wet lunch with a souvalaki and a beer, that what our holiday is about.
I can’t wait now, only 3 days to go.
Thanks for your suggestions and any more would be appreciated and yes Stephan, I will report back.

Fina
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Fina » Thu May 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Its a pleasure Foxflyer. Agreed the specials at Pritzipas are very good.

Fina

Social Media