WARNING - sea front parking

General topics regarding Stoupa and its surroundings
Marco

WARNING - sea front parking

Post by Marco » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:22 pm

We have been in Stoupa for just over a week, having hired a car for the last 5 days, we have parked on the sea front daily to get a coffee or lunch and have seen the police pass a few times. Today when we returned to our car we have a parking ticket issued by the police and 40E fine. It would appear from talking to one of the local business owners that from June the 1st parking is banned on the sea front. I totally understand the reason for this, but there are no signs to advise, no warnings!

The only visible sign advises no parking from 20.00hrs to 02.00hrs

How is anyone supposed to be aware?

This is a great way to alienate travellers to the area, and 40E we wont be spending with a local business.

PLAY FAIR, PUT UP WARNING SIGNS PRIOR TO ISSUING FINES.

From one very annoyed tourist.

Bracke

Re: WARNING - sea front parking

Post by Bracke » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:02 pm

As far as I can remember from last year there are quite some warnings on the sea front regarding parking there.

Marco

Post by Marco » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:02 pm

I have walked from Kalogria to the other end this morning, lots of cars parked and absolutely no warning or signs other than pointing out the evening closure. Appears like a con in my opinion. I will rephrase that to 'a very underhand practice to raise money.

Zissi
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Zissi » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:50 am

Regarding no advice/warning, in previous years, the Police have always 'announced' their arrival by walking up and down blowing a whistle, this usually brings a rush of people to move the cars before they ticket. Also, Taverna/business owners have been quick to warn us if the 'no parking' was in effect, seems you've been really unlucky.

cav-gas

Post by cav-gas » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:22 pm

There are numerous signs along the front one as you walk down towards Stoupa restaurant white with red lettering in Greek and english with map of the front and a second on the railing opposite riviera restaurant I also counted at least 5 European no parking symbols on posts between Stoupa restaurant and rodi

Donaldo
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Donaldo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:10 pm

Correct cav-gas!!

Marco

Post by Marco » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Noticed a few new signs last night one on the bridge opposite the Riveria that were not there last week. Also 13 cars parked along the stretch concerned.
The only signs at the time were advising No parking between 20.00 hrs and 02.00 hours. Up until June the 1st we had parked daily as had many others and the police passed by, no action had been taken.
You live and learn and the fine will be paid tomorrow.

ADI

Post by ADI » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:38 pm

I was about to comment about the 'NO STOPPING' signs along the front, that there are numerous one. If you drive in a foreign country, know their signs and what they mean. To be honest, I had to goggle them, long time since I took my test. But the comment that they weren't there a week ago, have a look carefully at the signs, the bolts that hold them up are rusted...... (I looked at 1 as I walked past).
OK the Greek government want every penny(euro) they can get, I should know,I have a business in Stoupa, and they are stuffing me, but I don't believe this is the case on this issue...

Magpie
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Magpie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:52 pm

Marco you stated you had been able to park on the seafront for the previous 5 days probably because the ban on parking became effective from 15th May as usually it is difficult to find a space on the seafront. Regarding Police blowing whistles some do but not always. Agios Nikolaos ban on driving from Elli's to Katerinas after 8pm came into effect from 1st June.

Hagar

Post by Hagar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:35 pm

I agree with Cav-gas, Donaldo and Adi.

Social Media