Is Stoupa going the same way as Kalogria?

General topics regarding Stoupa and its surroundings

SteveH

Is Stoupa going the same way as Kalogria?

Post by SteveH » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Unless we come outside of the summer season, we no longer bother to visit Kalogria - with so many sunbeds it's impossible to see the beach let alone enjoy it. But is Stoupa going the same way? I may be mistaken, but my impression is that there were more sunbeds on Stoupa main beach than there were last year, leaving only a small gap for those who want to sit on the sand. We have been visiting Stoupa for many years and, so far, it has escaped the worst excesses of mass tourism, but is this changing? Or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Magpie
Addicted member ;-)

Re: Is Stoupa going the same way as Kalogria?

Post by Magpie » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:47 am

In some respect there are more sunbeds but not packed in like Kalogria there are still open areas for those of us who do not use sun beds. At the end of the day the Taverna owners have to pay the Demos for the use of the beach outside their Tavernas and of course they need to get a financial return in order to maximise on their outlay.
Like everywhere that becomes popular changes will occur - supply & demand. In fact on Kalogria they have retained an area sun bed free for the volleyball court and space for bat & ball that the Greeks love to play, although I feel there are too many large ugly sun beds there.

cav-gas

Post by cav-gas » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:06 pm

I do agree with Magpie, but looking at it logically when the taverna occupied beach areas are full, there full. Go back 20 years and Stoupa was a totally different resort ( if it could be called a resort then). Fast forward another 10 or 20 years and who knows what it will be like. The Dimos and the local building business must strike a balance between sun bed income and resort development, not to mention car parking. At the moment it is getting close to saturation point. Kalogrria has proved that.

Magpie
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Magpie » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:35 pm

Unfortunately Cav-gas we haven't got a Tardis to go back in time. Re the Demos & Builders in fact there has been very little speculative building work since around 2008 and yes there have been a few constructions of apartments and houses for tourism. July & August Stoupa is virtually at full capacity but when I strolled along the seafront on Tuesday about 3.30 there were still a lot of beds unoccupied. Parking is a problem as there are more independant tourists than a few years ago not only Brits but other nationalities. The seafront when parking was allowed used to accommodate 40-50 cars now of course they have to find an alternative. Remember parking in Stoupa is free so any intervention by the Demos could well involve paid parking. The problem only exists during the High Season as the other 10 months it is not a problem.

aloni
Dedicated member

Post by aloni » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:43 pm

Kalogria and Stoupa beaches are awful in Jul-Aug and we don't go there any more during the summer. Its a shame because Kalogria would be a lovely beach if you could actually see the sea. Especially ugly and dirty are those big wooden beds with the sweat stained mattresses on - at least the mesh sunbeds are a bit less cumbersome. Unfortunately as has been said - it's business. Just a question of whether packing people in like sardines is actually good for business or whether it drives people away.
Last edited by aloni on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

bsamways

Post by bsamways » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:52 am

We stopped going during Jul-Aug as soon as having to "stick" to school holidays was no longer a necessity, however, the problem seems to be going further into September every year. I guess that is a consequence of Stoupa's popularity and relative lack of hotels/ apartments with swimming pools. Booked a villa with a swimming pool for next year, so the only reason to go to Kalogria will be for the excellent lunches at Pritipas and to see how the "other half" have to manage!

Bracke

Post by Bracke » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:59 am

We are quite surprised about the amount of tourists in mid September compared to last year. Even now the main beach is full of sun bed and shades. Coming to the area we also want to swim in the sea rather than in a pool.

Magpie
Addicted member ;-)

Post by Magpie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:23 pm

You are quite right Bracker there are more tourists than last year and the beaches are still busy as the weather is a few degrees warmer than normal for this time of the year. The increase I think is due to the number of independent travellers rather than package holidaymakers (believe Thomas Cook etc are at their maximum with UK returners). Agios Nikoloas has also of an evening been very busy with many Dutch and other Europeans.

Social Media