What are we doing. Self isolation.

Read here at your own risk!
This forum is meant to be used for general 'chit-chat' and for topics not fitting in one of the other boards. Posts not meeting the rules will be deleted!

bsamways

What are we doing. Self isolation.

Post by bsamways » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:22 am

Well, the camboard has been quieter than even usual.
I can appreciate that, anecdotally, the average age of "camboarders is, perhaps, higher than average, along with a lot of Stoupa visitors (like myself), so what are we doing to beat/ escape the dreaded virus?
Well, obviously, I'm sitting here typing messages, trying to avoid all of the doom and gloom of the media. Later on I will go for a 2-3 mile walk, gloriously sunny morning here in "sunny Nunny", later, I will bicycle into Nuneaton and return a load of books to the library (before it, no doubt, closes for the duration). Taking special care when out to stick to the two metre exclusion range.
Might even cut the lawn. I've a feeling the garden this year is going to look it's best ever.
Still, nothing lasts forever, so what are you doing, out there in "sunny Stoupa", or wherever you live, to brighten up your world?

bsamways

Re: What are we doing. Self isolation.

Post by bsamways » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:24 am

Only finished this message a few moments ago and already four views, hooray there is some live left on Earth!

john m
Dedicated member

Post by john m » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:29 pm

A good afternoon from what is now the not so sunny today Southern Peloponnese.
The hill village of Χατζή where we have resided for the past sixteen years Is dead in the water.
The main road I can see from the balcony is devoid of traffic & the only sounds to be heard are of barking dogs & Chickens. Today is the ninth day of our self imposed isolation & the first of full lockdown as of six a.m. this morning.
A hurried internet search at around dawn provided the information to download & print off the required government form, in order to gain some degree of mobility outside of the house grounds. Coffee on the balcony was a relaxed affair, followed by loading four dogs into the car & a trip into the wilds, overlooking Kalamata bay. Walk over & not having encountered a police presence to check our documents, the day is now proving uneventful & there is a danger of having to do those “Little” things she who must be obeyed has been reminding me of from around Christmas! Set up video links with most friends in the area, so can enjoy virtual meet ups over a few beers in days to come. Local supermarket has home delivery now and is well organised. As of yet no hardship anticipated ? Can’t believe the stupidity and selfishness of some in U.K...According to news reports ? Full lock down at present is advised as to 6th April...We shall see?
Stay safe all out there and best wishes.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

aloni
Dedicated member

Post by aloni » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:07 am

Day 16 of lockdown in a very quiet and sunny East London. A few DIY sounds but nobody around. I'm lucky to have a nice garden to enjoy the sun but I imagine it must be awful for those living in overcrowded flats with young kids and no outdoor space. Most people staying at home but as everywhere there are a few idiots who think this doesn't apply to them - which of course the press/social media have jumped on! London parks have been busier than they should be but most observing the 2m rule and Police have been pretty active in sending people home. Panic buying has calmed down now - no crazy people thinking they need 300 loo rolls to get through this! Sadly I was supposed to fly to Kalamata yesterday :( but of course flights cancelled weeks ago. EasyJet very good with refund and hoping to fly over in mid July - well fingers are crossed anyway. I go out for my run/walk/cycle early to avoid others and now about to paint my front door whilst listening to Patrick Leigh Fermor's A Time of Gifts https://youtu.be/2ATbzN_CdH0. This afternoon will be a mixture of sunbathing and drawing. Tomorrow we'll be outside our houses at 8 to clap for the wonderful NHS and all other amazing key workers keeping things as stable as possible for us all. The smallest things that we usually take for granted seem like big occasions - our family evening meals, online chats with friends, daily walk! Stay safe and well everyone!

Bracke

Post by Bracke » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:21 pm

Week 6, day 36 - somehow it starts to feel normal.
Fortunately, we are already retired and live on the outskirts of Vienna. In a few minutes we are in the great outdoors and in the forest. We take care for the balcony and do a lot of reading, mainly e-books as the local library is also closed for the time beeing.
I find it very interesting that some of the optimistis hope to be able to travel down here already in July. My fingers are aching from the constant crossing hoping to be able to fly in mid-September. That's what we are longing for.
Until then we mainly stay at home and try to make the best of the situation. So take care of yourself!

foxflyer

Post by foxflyer » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:47 pm

Its great to see some activity here, i thought everyone was in hiding.
It seems like its been too long since our last visit to Stoupa area and i was gearing up for it in may but sadly like all of us, my dreams have been dashed. I can only look at the webcams and dream for now as i feel it will be next year before we can safely return. oohh Nunny thats round the corner from me and yes the weather has been lovely here today in Tamworth so we can only make the most of it here. Gardens tidy, house interior painted, drive clean, what else? I only have the motorbikes to clean and im finished for the next few days. Ive completed one rebuild and now waiting for my next vintage project, until then I will keep a low profile :D
I can only hope the airlines will see sense later and keep some controlled pricing for the future, rather than making up for lost revenue. This hopefully will get us back to some normality next season all being well.
In the meantime we can just dream of travelling when its safe to do so.
Keep safe all

bsamways

Post by bsamways » Tue May 05, 2020 9:35 am

Still the same in the UK, can't really be sure how this will end. If you listen to the broadcast media it is all "doom and gloom", never ending chewing over any "bad" news. Yesterday it was the racial bias of the virus, news journalists to shallow, or ignorant, to dig any deeper than the broad headlines to see the social and medical reasons. who knows what it will be today, or tomorrow.
The reality is that infection rates and deaths are falling here, and in most European countries, and it's only a matter of time until we begin to get back to, whatever, normal is.
Checked out all of the webcams for Stoupa this morning, and can't wait to get back.

Kiora

Post by Kiora » Tue May 05, 2020 9:44 am

The weather here in Kent has been really lovely. The U.K. is wonderful this time of year and it’s been an exceptional spring. So our countryside is a tapestry of glorious green and clear blue skies. We live within an hour of the coast with its long promenades and views of the English Channel, quirky shops and fish and chip shops. The problem is we can’t get out and about to appreciate it. So it’s just busy doing nothing at home. My husband is rather enjoying fiddling in the garage. Other than that I’m here wondering if we will get to Stoupa this year. Our late September holiday was booked last summer. We love our holidays in Stoupa, the views, the people everything about it really. Do you miss us tourists or are you all enjoying having it to yourselves? Will the local restaurants be able survive the financial downturn? I hope so.

bsamways

Post by bsamways » Tue May 05, 2020 2:35 pm

Love to be back in Stoupa later in the year. Can't really see it though, even though the tour operators are still selling holidays.
"Sunny Nunny" is really living up to it's name today, although the wind is a bit cold. Still the north Warwickshire/ south Leicestershire countryside is lovely and the fewer cars on the roads make cycling a real pleasure. And the forecast is more of the same for the rest of the week.
Still I wonder how all of this will play out in the longer term. In a previous life I was a virologist and was heavily involved in the original phases of the HIV pandemic. Thank goodness covid-19 is nowhere near as lethal, however, I can't help but think that until everyone is immune, either due to infection or a vaccine, the virus will persist and as soon as countries relax their lockdowns it will come roaring back, the coming winter could be truly awful.
The big "elephant in the room" for Greece must be the refugee camps and the waves of new refugees coming over from Turkey.
Hope my doom and gloom is unwarranted and looking forward to lazing on the beach in Stoupa as soon as possible, even if we have to drive over because planes aren't flying.

bsamways

Post by bsamways » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:46 pm

Well the planes are flying and the infection rate is similar to the UK's now, although the Greek government says that the new cases are "internal" and due to the youth partying 24/7.
On the positive side, Sunny Nunny is glorious, temperatures also similar to Greece, but at least here it cools down nicely at night. Yesterday spent the morning and most of the afternoon on the patio, except for the lack of traffic and waves breaking, could almost be To Steki!! Went a long walk this afternoon and couldn't believe it, hardly anyone out. Walked through a local park and along a nature trail and hardly a soul to be seen, must all be in Greece.

Social Media